Range report .44 mag and .45lc

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
sheepherder

Re: Range report .44 mag and .45lc

Post by sheepherder »

For those following this thread for Caldwell Chrony information, Battenfeld Tech., sent me within 4 days of me contacting them, two new cables. One cable with a USB type (USB2 type micro B 5 pin) to plug into the Android device. There is another cable with a female USB A type 2connector and another type (USB type B?) of connector to plug into the white square connector on the chrony.

Completely different from the audio cable that was with the kit. Hard to understand how the cable could be so different, but then I am not an IT guy who likely would know how the information might transfer differently given the new pathways.

Will see if the changes allow communication later today.

SH

PS Thought the chrony tripod, while fragile looking and plastic, was easily manipulated (angle, leg length) such that putting the chrony in the right place given any ground contour or surface was very easy.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Good to hear. Hope that cures the issues you have been having.
Michael
bamboozler

Post by bamboozler »

sheepherder wrote: ...

Another thing that has worried me, was my electronic scale's accuracy. I looked at most scales available from Midway USA and Brownell. Most are +/- 0.1 grain accuracy. I found one that was .001 grains. Bought it.

The chrono session today was interesting as the last two loads were not significantly different with respect to fps. Given the error in weighing and measuring velocity, I wonder what the real difference in fps or weight were if the accuracy was optimized. Is that what the factory loads do? Do they make better measurements?

One other item, the Caldwell Chrono. Look on the web, there are issues with communication of the chrono and an Android device. Some claim a new cable can help. Other say it is the unit and it needs to be fixed by Caldwell. Other indicate it is software. Still other think ipads don't have the same issues. Sounds like a reloading threat to me. Find the variables, fix the problem.

I did shoot a 23 in trap today so I am happy about even if the electronics failed.

Sheepherder
+/- 0.1 grain accuracy on scales both mechanical and electronic is the norm and more than precise enough for 99% of reloading. What every scale owner needs is a good calibration kit.

I've been lucky, 25 years ago I bought an Oehler 35P chronograph and have never had a problem, just watched and listened to everyone else's chrono troubles over the years.