Range report .44 mag and .45lc

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
sheepherder

Range report .44 mag and .45lc

Post by sheepherder »

I previously reported issues of flattened primers and cases (.44mag) that were difficult to extract after they were fired. Used True Blue based on loading data from Sierra for 240 grain JHP. Called them, they were not helpful and very defensive. "I'll shut up and listen to you." "We don't guarantee the load data." Called S & W and it was a completed different world. Had no idea how different the loading components can really be.

Anyway............

I think the reason for the high pressure of my True Blue loaded that were within parameters was the crimp, but will not test what it really was. I discovered as the crimp ring moves down a case, a hard crimp means a longer length of travel on the case and thus a broadened ring around the case.

Shot 10., 10.4, 10.9 and 11.1 grains of Unique with .44 mag 240 grain, JHP a very low crimp and no case extraction problems. The velocity was in the low 1100 fps. The velocities were recorded by a Caldwell Chrono. I found it interesting that the jump in average velocity was about 40 fps/ 0.5 grains increase. Then it topped out. As a scientist, I would love to see the powder companies publish more complete data sets - raw data average. I would like to know the slope of the line to know what powders climber so fast with small increments in weight. Is there such a data set?

Another thing that has worried me, was my electronic scale's accuracy. I looked at most scales available from Midway USA and Brownell. Most are +/- 0.1 grain accuracy. I found one that was .001 grains. Bought it.

The chrono session today was interesting as the last two loads were not significantly different with respect to fps. Given the error in weighing and measuring velocity, I wonder what the real difference in fps or weight were if the accuracy was optimized. Is that what the factory loads do? Do they make better measurements?

One other item, the Caldwell Chrono. Look on the web, there are issues with communication of the chrono and an Android device. Some claim a new cable can help. Other say it is the unit and it needs to be fixed by Caldwell. Other indicate it is software. Still other think ipads don't have the same issues. Sounds like a reloading threat to me. Find the variables, fix the problem.

I did shoot a 23 in trap today so I am happy about even if the electronics failed.

Sheepherder
GasGuzzler

Re: Range report .44 mag and .45lc

Post by GasGuzzler »

My Caldwell failed before I could use it other than test Nerf darts inside. They sent me a new one without returning the old. I use electronic scales for less important stuff.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

My Caldwell chrony worked very well and with no problems using an Android device.
Michael
sheepherder

Post by sheepherder »

Ranch Dog

Good to hear it can work as advertised. Do you use the cable (audio) Caldwell includes with the unit? Do you know what version of Android you have on your device? I tried to hook up the chrony then the tablet and then reversed what was plugged in first. Neither worked. I have read there is a order to it.

Any idea of what no network access means on the app page? I thought it was a direct link via the cable not BlueTooth. I can always write the data down and load to a spread sheet but it would be nice to have an automatic record that can be emailed.

Sheepherder
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

My phone just updated to 6.0.1 but I have not used it. I wI'll propably shoot later today so will shoot across it.

Since I received the Labradar I have not used the Caldwell or F1. I'm going to sell both.
Michael
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

My iPhone just required a free app from the App Store.

I think Okie44 uses an iPad.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I ran the Calwell chrono with the Android today without any issue. From my use, it doesn't seem to matter what order is used in the setup. From past experience I've learned not to switch out of the app to some other, even answer the phone, during the chrony session or it will disrupt the data collection.

Mine is the complete kit and I always used it with the light screens, I have power at the range. I don't think it has ever missed a shot. I need to round up the F1 and sell both of these.

Other than price it is very hard to argue with the purchase of the Labradar. Since I bought it I've had it collect every shot I've fired, every one. No setup; just face it downrange, turn it on, and arm it. Crazy easy.
Michael
sheepherder

Post by sheepherder »

Ranch Dog, Thanks for the Caldwell Chrony update and use tips.

Caldwell is sending me a new cable. Seems like there are those in the populations who's Caldwell chrony works (%?) and those that don't for various reasons: cable incompatibility, program fixes, updates, or board issues with the unit.

Good news is everyone indicates that as soon as the folks that make the Caldwell Chronys hear of a problem, they do what they can to fix it. Many end up with two units, one they use and one for parts.

Sheepherder

PS From the limited data I have, I was surprised at how the additional powder (increase in weight) would result in different increases in velocity as you analyzed the different weights (loads). I think it would be useful to see powder companies provide graphs of grains of powder versus pressure or velocities. I doubt if the curves are linear. If they are asymptotic, it would give you an idea where to work in the linear part of the curve or tell you the inflection point - no more 'bang' for your powder buck at a certain point. Do you that have done this awhile know of such data?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I was looking at what they are going for and they are almost to cheap to resale. They are $120 right now for the complete kit. The little F1 is $110, just for the chronograph, and I would say hands down the Caldwell is a way better product.
Michael
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I paid $99 for my complete Caldwell kit new.