Redding Dual Ring Carbine Dies

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Ohio357MagFan

Re: Redding Dual Ring Carbine Dies

Post by Ohio357MagFan »

Archer, here's another thing I'm wondering about, I wonder if shooting the same cartridge in the closed breech system of the carbine is harder on brass then shot in a revolver. I know about the rear locking of the bolt possibly stretching the brass, but there's another thing I noticed when cleaning both my 357 and 44 carbines. I didn't measure anything but by looking at the insides of the barrel with a bright light there is no doubt that the rifling starts sooner in the carbine barrel then it does in a revolver (with the cylinder length and forcing cone). We all know that longer leades will lower pressure, well with that plus there being no barrel to cylinder gap, I would think the peak pressure from identical cartridges has got to be higher in the carbine and also the fact the barrel is longer and no gap, there is no doubt that pressure is exerted on the brass for a longer duration at a higher level, which of course would be harder on brass. Whats your thoughts?
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I'd say you're correct but I'm not sure it makes a huge difference on brass life unless you're way hot.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

GasGuzzler wrote:I'd say you're correct but I'm not sure it makes a huge difference on brass life unless you're way hot.
+1
I'd say almost insanely hot.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I would think that even with SAAMI spec magnum loads, a carbine (lever or bolt rifle) would be prone to normal brass "stretching" at the mouth and thinning of the case wall, whereas the revolver would have very little tendency to stretch.

Maybe that has nothing to do with the conversation?

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Responding to the latter question about working the brass more or less in a carbine vs. a revolver...

I think the case mouth effects are going to be a function of the chamber dimensions more than a function of the revolver vs. the rifle. That is to say that if your chamber on one is a half mil larger in diameter than the other then that's the one that's going to get exercised the most.

I think with regard to the 'springy' bolt on the lever action because it locks up at the rear...
It ain't all that springy. The maximum pressures we are talking about are around 10% less than the .30-30 and about 20+% less than .303 British which have this problem both of which are generally loaded into actions noted for being more springy than the 92.

The .44 Mag and .357 Mag MIGHT be more forgiving around the case head than cartridges not designed for revolvers where the head may not be fully enclosed...

I wouldn't sweat the difference, probably not even if I was running full power loads.