Redding Dual Ring Carbine Dies

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Ohio357MagFan

Re: Redding Dual Ring Carbine Dies

Post by Ohio357MagFan »

Archer,

Check out the picture I attached, I saw that crack on a 357 magnum casing after it was put through the carbide sizer, that's what got my attention and shook me up to look into all this. In the picutre you can see how the carbide die "sucks in" the bottom part of the case around the case head, it's obvious it overworks the brass at this point, the cases sized in the steel sizer die don't look that way at all, you can tell they are cone or tapered in shape, the bottom half of the case barely gets sized down at all and the top half gets the perfect amount of sizing for bullet tension. I've posted about this about 3 months ago, you may have seen it, but I do have a follow up. When I had been shooting hot 357 magnum loads, I noticed that there is a little bit of a bulge around that area where the crack is in the picture. I've backed off all my loads and also gone to the steel sizing die and it seems to be all fine now!

Got a quick question for you, do you think that putting a super firm roll crimp works the area of the brass around the head where the crack is in my picture? It seems to be that it would tug and stretch the brass more then a light crimp. Another thing I have been trying that I forgot to mention is also crimping with a 357/38 taper crimp die. I tried half a box where I loaded hard cast 125 grain truncated nose bullets with a firm taper crimp and also the other half with roll crimp, both had good bullet tension and both seemed to shoot the same, I literally noticed no difference over the chronograph or the look of the cases, I didn't measure them though yet so I can't say if the taper crimp helped to prevent stretching
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bamboozler

Post by bamboozler »

Heavy crimps to improve ignition doesn't really work if at all. Just apply enough to roll it in some based on severity of recoil with a snub nose 454 Casull being the heaviest.
Ohio357MagFan

Post by Ohio357MagFan »

Bamboozler, that is definately what my chronograph results say, the crimp has no effect on the velocity at all. I think I'm going to start using the taper crimp die for 357 and 44 magnum a lot more now, at the very least it should make the case mouths last a lot longer. I recently loaded and shot a batch of 185 gr double end wadcutters for 44 magnum and used zero crimp because they were all single shot loaded and there was absolutely zero issues with ignition

What's your thoughts on a firm roll crimp stretching brass by the tugging action?
bamboozler

Post by bamboozler »

Ohio357MagFan wrote: ...
What's your thoughts on a firm roll crimp stretching brass by the tugging action?
It's most likely a factor, how much would increase as headspace increases and chamber dimensions are on the max. end. To be honest haven't thought about that issue before, I'm glad you brought it up.

I started off as a heavy crimper in the late '70s when I started reloading but that didn't last long. I've been a light crimper for most of my handloading life.
Ohio357MagFan

Post by Ohio357MagFan »

bamboozler wrote:
It's most likely a factor, how much would increase as headspace increases and chamber dimensions are on the max. end. To be honest haven't thought about that issue before, I'm glad you brought it up.

I started off as a heavy crimper in the late '70s when I started reloading but that didn't last long. I've been a light crimper for most of my handloading life.

Me too with the transition from heavy crimping to light crimping, and now just starting to use taper crimp dies for crimping 357 and 44 mag load with polymer coated cast bullets. May still use the roll crimp for jacketed bullets though, but Ill keep it light. I got thinking and I used to shoot a lot of hot 10mm, 180 grain bullets loaded to 1300 and 200s loaded to 1200-1300, I used blue dot powder for those hot 10mm loads so they gotta be every bit as hot pressure wise as the hottest 357 or 44 mag loadings- and I always used a taper crimp for those loads with both jacketed and hard cast and never had any issues.
Ohio357MagFan

Post by Ohio357MagFan »

Ohio357MagFan wrote:
bamboozler wrote:

Me too with the transition from heavy crimping to light crimping, and now just starting to use taper crimp dies for crimping 357 and 44 mag load with polymer coated cast bullets. May still use the roll crimp for jacketed bullets though, but Ill keep it light. I got thinking and I used to shoot a lot of hot 10mm, 180 grain bullets loaded to 1300 and 200s loaded to 1200-1300, I used blue dot powder for those hot 10mm loads so they gotta be every bit as hot pressure wise as the hottest 357 or 44 mag loadings- and I always used a taper crimp for those loads with both jacketed and hard cast and never had any issues.

Oh and I have two 223 rifles, a semi auto AR and savage bolt action. I use NO crimp for the loads shot in bolt action and roll crimp the ones shot in the semi auto. The ones with no crimp shoot just fine
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I just had a long post regarding crimp, expansion, carbide dies, etc..
BUT instead of it being posted it got eaten when my login timed out.
I'll see about retyping it later.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Archer wrote:I just had a long post regarding crimp, expansion, carbide dies, etc..
BUT instead of it being posted it got eaten when my login timed out.
I'll see about retyping it later.

Why does your "log in time out"? AOL?

just curious.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Pretty much every web site logs you out after a certain amount of time between actions (other than typing).
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

If you don't check the 'log me in automatically' button during login the site dumps you out after an hour or two.
Since I'm occasionally visiting the site from machines I don't have total control over or from portable machines that might be stolen or lost I leave that box unchecked.