Cast 44mag bullet and Alliant Blue Dot powder

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
smithyT176

Cast 44mag bullet and Alliant Blue Dot powder

Post by smithyT176 »

I recently acquired 5lbs of Alliant Blue dot powder and was looking for a round to use it with. I have plenty of shotgun powder and im currently only loading for .410 so that wasnt going to work. I looked into the 44mag/blue dot combination and i was hesitant at first after reading reviews. however i decided to try anyways and see my results with my m92 stainless 44. I used a CCI large pistol mag primer and 13.0gr of alliant blue dot. The bullet i used was a Missouri bullet company 240 Grain TCFP with a Brinell harness of 18. My results have been great. minimal leading, accurate even with original sights. (although i have now switched over to fiber optic rear and front sights. Will post pictures later)
At 50 yards i am getting a 2 inch average grouping while standing, not resting the gun on anything but my shoulder. (should be bench resting it this weekend to see what it will really do at 100 yards) After shooting what lead fouling there was was removed with a jag in 4 passes. I consider this a win. :D

I have used a lot of missouri bullet company bullets and i will say that i have been really impressed with all there products in my revolvers and lever actions.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Cast 44mag bullet and Alliant Blue Dot powder

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
Looks like you have the start of a good results.
Been loading old Blue Dot in my 41 magnums for years when up north. Read all the warnings about 10 years back and thought of all the hundreds of rounds in different powder weights I have shot and had to wonder. Some one some where was probably trying to very heavy charge or shoot powder puff loads. That was at the time period when the courts were being flooded with frivolous cases. Lawyers get twitchy about having to defend the company without all the possibilities covered.
Load within the parameters of the powder and it will work normal.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
smithyT176

Re: Cast 44mag bullet and Alliant Blue Dot powder

Post by smithyT176 »

I was reading about blue dot being cold sensitive and unreliable at cold temperatures so before i got to far into the testing i contacted Alliant and this what they have told me.

I have been using this load for a few months and i have been told that this powder temperature sensitive, possibly reverse temperature sensitive. so i am looking for clarification that this powder will be safe over the temperature ranges i use it at, 20f-95f. can you confirm this?

Handgun -
Firearm Make/Model: Ruger super blackhawk
Cartridge: 44 mag
Bullet Brand and Style: Missouri bullet 240gr keith brindle 18 Bullet Weight (Grains): 13.0 grains blue dot
Primer: CCI 300
Powder: Blue Dot

Travis,
For a pistol load, you should not have issues with the temperatures you are speaking of. Now if you were a goose hunter in minus 20 degree days, there could be issues. But for a pistol and 20 degrees, there really should not be an issue. Use a good heavy crimp for your Keith style bullets.
Thanks,
Shoot Straight
DuaneVB
CCI/Speer/Alliant
2299 Snake River Ave.
Lewiston, ID