Trail Boss

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
John T

Trail Boss

Post by John T »

1) - Anyone reloading with Trail Boss?
2) - in similar cartridges i.e. - 45 Colt & 454 Casull, 45-60 &/or 45-70 &/or 45-90
and yes that includes the 30's, (30, 36 , 38 etc.) and OTHER 40's & 50's.
3) - Looking for SPEED/MZ increases in similar STRAIGHT WALLED cartridges as in the way
"The Holy Black" increases with length of cartridge &/or drop in bullet weight but with Trail Boss.
Trail Boss seems to respond better in a cartridge with a slighter lighter bullet i.e. 45 Colt 250gr RNFP
compared to a loading with a 200gr RNFP.
<];) JT +guns
GasGuzzler

Re: Trail Boss

Post by GasGuzzler »

I have no use for Trail Boss but it ain't for using when looking for speed as far as I know.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:I have no use for Trail Boss but it ain't for using when looking for speed as far as I know.
I've used Trail Boss a bit and run a lot of QL data for it. What exactly are you interested in when it comes to speed? I ask, because as GG related, speed is not a feature of the cartridge. A full 100% compressed case for accuracy at plain base bullet pressures is. It has to me the most expensive powder to use, I know that.
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I use it in the 45 Colt, 45-70, 40-65, 8x57 and 7.62x54R and it's not for speed. As Ranch noted it is relatively expensive, I get about the same number of loadings from 9 oz as I do with a pound but TB has anywhere from a 4 to a 10 dollar premium around here.

I use most of it in the 40-65 for loads that I use to practice off hand at the local indoor range I belong to. So far me and the Sharps are much threat to the chickens :( .

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Coop 45

Post by Coop 45 »

In my 45 Colt 8.5 grains of trailboss will give 1050 fps with a 250 grain rnfp.

I was using it for a while in a 7-08 for reduced loads with a 110 grain Speer tnt hollow point. It had the recoil of a 223 and the noise of a 22 mag. No idea on velocity.

Just remember not to compress it.
"Shoot straight you bastards, don't make a mess of it" Captain Harry "Breaker" Morant, last words to his firing squad.
92 45 Colt 20" stainless
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I really enjoy 7.0 gr of Trail Boss under Rim Rock 240 gr swc's in my .44 mag R92. Decent accuracy and it won't beat you up.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

I occasionally use Trail Boss when I need to tame a load, read
that as, reduce the felt recall.
Not a problem with the Rossi carbine but really helps with the
hand guns.
4.5g in a .45 case works just right !

Jim
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
groo01

Post by groo01 »

Groo here
We use Trailboss for lighter loads in magnum cartridges .
It seems to work the best with normal weight bullets, hot primers.good crimp and
loaded to 90% to 100% density ...
My load for 41mag is an SNS coated 215gr SWC , win primers,heavy crimp and 6gr [ max listed 6.5gr]
trailboss.
This is a standout load on the net so we tried it..
OH BOY--- In 5 different guns the bullets just want to sit on top of each other. [ bad eyes but at seven 7 yds
2 hand unsupported puts 5 rds in a grop covered by a half dollar]
I yet live
Iplayfarmer

Post by Iplayfarmer »

I have shot a little with Trail Boss. It's mostly for the kids to shoot .357 mag and .45 ACP. I have loaded a few dozen rounds of 30-06 based on the load data on hodgdonreloading.com. It's good for what it's intended for... light weight target shooting with lead bullets.

It seems accurate enough, and as others have mentioned, the recoil is significantly lower than with other powders. I've had fun loading a few standard rounds in a magazine on top of a few rounds loaded with Trail Boss and handing the gun to a brother or friend. I love the look on their face when they crack off the first Trail Boss round. Most have actually laughed out loud. Of course then they shoot the rest of the magazine and usually ask for more. It's a nice way to practice technique and fundamentals without the noise and recoil.

In my neck of the woods, the cost isn't that much more than other powders. Maybe a cent or two per round.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Not me my old fall back is cheap and readily available hodgen universal for .357specials, 9mm and 45acp.It is my go to usually cheaper and I like it so far. Not as accurate as some I've used but reliable and combat accurate by any standard.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!