Primers at Cabella's

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
LowKey

Primers at Cabella's

Post by LowKey »

https://www.slickguns.com/product/selli ... brick-1999

Election's coming.
Time to take inventory and stock up.

Anyone use the S&B spp?
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Primers at Cabella's

Post by mr surveyor »

LowKey wrote:https://www.slickguns.com/product/selli ... brick-1999

Election's coming.
Time to take inventory and stock up.

Anyone use the S&B spp?

just prior to the last general election cycle my local sources were having a hard time getting primers. One finally scored 50 bricks of S&B primers for a nearly decent price, so I bought a couple of bricks of the S&B large pistol primers. My experience with them has been "o.k." as they do seem to ignite the powder the same as Win and CCI primers, don't seem to be any harder/softer than the others, but I have had a few issues seating them with both the Lee hand primer and the Lee Ram Prime (they seem to flip more than other brands). With the Win primers back on the shelf, I am trying to re-stock "early", but have no problem working with the S&B primers if that's what's available.

just my limited experience

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I bought a crapton of CCI and Winnie over the last year to avoid those I'm not familiar with.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I prefer CCI mil for those guns (especially semiautos) with a floating firing pin, Winchester and Federal for everything else.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I keep both sizes of the CCI mil-spec on hand (AR15 and Garand) been know to use them in other cartridges also. Lately the most available primers in this area have been Winchester. In the 40=65 I shoot a pretty heavily compressed charge of 2Fg black and want a good flame to get it going so i use magnum large rifle in it. I prefer the CCI LRM's but lately all I've been able to find is Federals. Which reminds me I need to get some more or try to find some CCI.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Considering that LowKey was originally asking about the S&B primers .... for 20 bucks a brick (if I didn't have to pay hazmat), I would certainly buy a few bricks. The last Win primers I bought from my local shop, only a couple of weeks ago, were almost 40 bucks per brick OTD. My only other option would have been to drive 15 miles to the next town, during a weekday/working hours to save 5 bucks. If there was a Cabella's store front within casual driving distance, I'd have no problem with S&B primers at 20 bucks.

Just trying to get my own thoughts back on the original post question ;)

jd

edit to add .... I would also pay the hazmat if I could spring for 8-10 bricks, even if it was an organized "group buy"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I didn't see a question in the original post. I read it wrong.

I'd pay (and do) $35 per 1K with no tax or HazMat at shows and $29 plus 8.25% tax in town when I'm already there but I haven't yet needed to buy SB bricks online for $20 plus shipping AND HazMat that makes them more.

Group buy is a good idea for those within a short drive.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Traviscountyslim

Post by Traviscountyslim »

Gas guzzler: I don't find time to reload much but I am on my 3rd brick of these. Zero problems in my .357 model 92 with any brass both in 158 or 125 coated . I noted on Cabelas website that they went up a buck to new price of $20.99. By the way they lite up 4.7 grains of TiteGroup very well, but next time ,I will buy the small rifle primers and clean my primer pockets. The SNS Casting 125 grain coated flat point Swcs are 2 moa at 50 yards.
..."in the presence of mine enemies, I shall fear no harm."
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I think I got about 20K primers when I purchased equipment and components from a coworker ages ago.
I used up most of the large rifle, large pistol and large magnum pistol in the year or so after acquisition.
I sold him back the pair of large magnum rifle bricks a couple years ago.
I THINK my last primer buy was a 5K sleeve of Winchester large pistol or rifle.

Since I have M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, M1As, AR-15s and I'm working on a .308 AR the CCI mil primers are my preferred go to for most of my ammo in those calibers. I've got several batches of Federal LR Match that I'll probably load especially for my bolt gun(s) in particular the CZ550(s), Remington 700 or Savage.

Around here Winchester typically runs about $30-33/K. Federal Magnum Pistol $35/K+. CCI military around $45-50/K. I prefer to buy primers at a show or a local shop. Minimum order numbers tend to be 1-2 5K sleeves other wise the hazmat eats you alive. Show prices during the Bush years weren't good if you could find them and after Obama got elected nothing was available for several years. I suspect when Hillary gets elected nothing will be available and once she appoints Rosie O'Donnell to the Supremes there won't be a second amendment.
Traviscountyslim

Post by Traviscountyslim »

Hillary, makes Stalin look like a good guy. Then there is Bernie sanders with his own band of dead heads and other glue sniffing and other Che Guevara dope smokin' draft dodgin' commie sympathizer so buy these primers like they are goin out of style.