New Hand Loader

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
dvw86

New Hand Loader

Post by dvw86 »

My 13 year old son was starting to get bored around the house. He has his school work and his chores, but he gets those done and is soon looking for something to do. I remember being in that stage. It's when I started making knives. I also remember that a bored 13 year old boy is a bad thing. So I got him a little tool box, a set of dies for 380, calipers, steel wool, primer pocket cleaners, a Lee hand case trimmer, a simple Lee press and a few other odds and ends. It's all hand tools (no power tools). All in all, it was about $150. He is now a 3rd generation hand loader and is enjoying it. My Dad has invited him over for a reloading session. It has been a good opportunity to teach him more about proper tool respect and care, deliberate, detailed and careful work, as well as bullet anatomy.

My thought is that he spends his time reloading and his reward is to shoot them. Then it starts all over again. I just hope that I can keep up with casting slugs for him :)
GasGuzzler

Re: New Hand Loader

Post by GasGuzzler »

Nice
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Outstanding! I still think even the simple Lee Loader is a great tool for a young guy or gal.
Michael
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Outstanding dvw, an unknown amount of skill sets will come from this. +corn
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
btoran

Post by btoran »

i have told my boys for a while (they're now 8 and 9) that i only had them to get into small places i couldn't reach and to help mow the lawn. need to add reloading to the list. actually, the smaller one is fascinated by the process and has "helped" me already.
Bruce

Rossi R92 16" SS .357
Lee Classic Turret Press

Don't eat anything bigger than your head!
Ohio357MagFan

Post by Ohio357MagFan »

DVW86, I think that's great what you are doing with your son!! I recall doing the same thing with my dad and uncle Phil at age 14 and now I'm almost 40. My uncle Phil recently passed away at age 97, he had a room in his basement for handloading, I remember 8 pound Kegs of powder all over. He must have had about 50 guns but his favorite guns was a 357 maximum Contender 14 inch barrel, 22-250, and he just loved 16 gauge shotguns for some reason and he also shot a lot of black powder. At his funeral one of my cousins husband who is now in his 50's said back when he was a teenager (when he was dating my cousin) he was hanging around the bad crowd at that time in the 70s and on Friday nights he would go over to Uncle Phils place and sit and load ammo with him and he was crying and said he felt that Uncle Phil pulled him away from the bad influences in his life and he thought he might not have turned out ok if it wasn't for the Friday nights sitting and reloading and talking with Uncle Phil
dvw86

Post by dvw86 »

Time mentoring a teen age boy is always well spent.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Costco snack jars, better than coffee cans, you can see through them to the contents :D .

Has he had a chance to shoot the fruits of his labor yet?

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
dvw86

Post by dvw86 »

Ohio3Wheels wrote: Has he had a chance to shoot the fruits of his labor yet? ,
Yep, he shot some yesterday and has already started cleaning the brass. We plan on doing some more shooting today as well.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

dvw86 wrote:
Ohio3Wheels wrote: Has he had a chance to shoot the fruits of his labor yet? ,
Yep, he shot some yesterday and has already started cleaning the brass. We plan on doing some more shooting today as well.
Still grinning from ear to ear I'll wager :D .

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image