.454 Casull resizing

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Blue

.454 Casull resizing

Post by Blue »

I just received a 500 piece bag of Starline brass in .454 Casull.

In the bag was a note that said, "The 454 Casull must be full length sized before loading to achieve proper bullet tension load".

When I go to re-size these after their first use, I think I might have some issues, as I don't believe Lee makes a dedicated die for this round and I don't know if the .45 Colt die will fully re-size these cases.

A Casull case is .098" longer than the Colt...can this little bit at the bottom of the case matter, or is Starline concerned that someone might (for a reason I can't imagine) only resize half of the case?

Blue
f100cleveland

Re: .454 Casull resizing

Post by f100cleveland »

I have a lee 454 casull die set. You can full length size with it. I have been sizing only the top as far as the bullet seats and have had no issues with cambering yet. Have 3-4 reloads on some starline cases with low to medium power loads.
groo01

Post by groo01 »

Groo here
The original Freedom Arms M83 454mag had min chambers[mine will not chamber a factory
45 colt] the ruger and other 454's have "looser" chambers.
My orginal dies are Pacific and they are tight [I use them for ALL 45/454 loading to be sure of fit]
If your dies say 454 you should fine, but no 45 colt die I know of will work for the 454.
I yet live
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

For my lever actions and for my straight walled cases (and also my semi-autos) I always full length resize.
Early on in my reloading I tried backing off slightly on some of the resizing for a .30-30 and found that rather than extending the life of the brass after a loading or two it became difficult to chamber and impossible to size back down to spec where it chambered easy. Might or might not have also had something to do with the brand of brass but outside of neck sizing for a specific bolt gun or three I just don't chance partial resizing.
OutdoorMD

Post by OutdoorMD »

Revival of an old thread...but...

I use Lee dies in 454 Casull.. however the FL resizer in the box is stamped 45 long colt. I just assumed that they were the same thing as far as FL sizing requirement goes. Unless Lee made a mistake? :D Brass seems to work fine!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

OutdoorMD wrote:Revival of an old thread...but...

I use Lee dies in 454 Casull.. however the FL resizer in the box is stamped 45 long colt. I just assumed that they were the same thing as far as FL sizing requirement goes. Unless Lee made a mistake? :D Brass seems to work fine!
Another Lee user. Yes, the sizing die is stamped "45 Colt" and is more than deep enough for correct, full length sizing of the 454 Casull.
Michael
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
I am another who just neck size my cases unless the brass will not rechamber. Have a BFR 454 and unless the load is "top power" the cases generally do not need full length sizing for 3-5 times.
I see no reason to FLS my cases if they chamber. I only have the one BFR 454 also. If I had two or more 454's I would segregate brass to each firearm and still neck size. Brass never seems to wear out.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Oz judge

Post by Oz judge »

My Rossi r92 had feeding issues from get go , It was sent back & came back with grinding in the chamber opening/mouth . I fired 20 rounds & they all had bulged bases . I sent the cases & the rifle back. After a year my Rossi came back with a new barrel . Anyway I resized the bulged cases in a 45 Colt lee die with no problems . They have now been reloaded twice & still seem to be fine . So yeah the Colt 45 die in a Rossi chamber should be fine.