.222 Remington

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
wildbill1

Re: .222 Remington

Post by wildbill1 »

My most accurate .222 loads used Hornady 52 grain match bullets and IMR 4198 powder.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Beyond the barrel wrench you will need a barrel vise and the "go" & "no go" gauges for the 222 Rem that is why I suggested the gunsmith. I have the wrench and vice you can use if you would like, the shipping both ways will be a bit as it is heavy. Maybe there is a USPS Flat Rate box that would fit. The vice has to be attached (nuts & bolts) to a really sturdy bench as it probably will take a tremendous force to break the grip of the nut given the age of the rifle.

You can rent the set of gauges from Reamer Rentals for $7 but they require a $80 deposit and shipping. 4D has them for $8 but they offer three different choices of neck diameter that you would need to read up on if you went that way. The rentals are for three days so you would need the vice setup and ready to go.

This might be a dumb question and might be contained in the information above but does the bolt operate normally with nothing in the chamber? I'm thinking strictly about the 340 now. If the Gas Shield Keys (13), there is a pair of these sitting side by side, get worn; you cannot make the bolt close. The forward, upper edge of the key is what wears, the material that strikes the receiver. The best way to check this is to remove the the gas shield and its components and see how the bolt operates. When doing this you must also remove the ejector components or you will break it as the as one of the two Gas Shield Cap (8) recesses pass it.
340_gas_shield_key_01.jpg
340_gas_shield_key_02.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Great! I'll pass that info along.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
sawzall

Post by sawzall »

Older post, I know but fyi, even your starting load of 24gr H335 is over max pressure according to Quick Load. Those old Savages are accurate but not strong due to the split receiver.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Not too old to comment on as I have done nothing yet.

Hodgdon's online data and my Lee book show 23.0 max at this writing but My Hornady book shows 24.9.

Anyway....the powder charge is not why the bolt sticks and the primers get pierced. It was doing that with OEM ammo.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.