Lee 45 colt die set

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Lee 45 colt die set

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Well, I didn't want too, but I bought a new RCBS expander die to do the 45 colt. I give it five stars. Releasing the shell from the die is done with minimal effort, no lube required. That said, my next die set will be RCBS with a side order of the Lee FCD, best combo by far.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Doc,

Can you "see" the difference in the expanders from the two different dies, that might explain why the Lee is holding on to them?
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Excellent question.
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

donhuff wrote:Doc,

Can you "see" the difference in the expanders from the two different dies, that might explain why the Lee is holding on to them?
I can, it's simple really, the RCBS die is tapered. Thus, as you pull the shell out there is no meat of the die to grab from, on the other hand, the Lee is almost bulbous at the end resulting in friction going in as well as out. It's subtle, but it's there.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

NavyDoc76-80 wrote:

I can, it's simple really, the RCBS die is tapered. Thus, as you pull the shell out there is no meat of the die to grab from, on the other hand, the Lee is almost bulbous at the end resulting in friction going in as well as out. It's subtle, but it's there.

.... which would be noticeable when processing "thicker walled brass" ;)

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

mr surveyor wrote:
NavyDoc76-80 wrote:

.... which would be noticeable when processing "thicker walled brass" ;)

jd
JD, lately I'm not sure of much I just know it is what it is
Dave M
--//--
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Dave, I was just pointing out my suspicion of the issue stated at the beginning of the thread. In the last week of so, in small bits of "bench time", I processed 656 pieces of once fired .38 spl range brass from the police training range (he's currently training to be a minimum security prison guard). After range day they picked up all of the brass, 650 of which he knew were Remington UMC 130 gr TC "training loads). The other 6 turned out to be Federal brass, probably from one of the "instructors". Even though I didn't exclude the Federal brass from the bulk processing (it ain't gonna make a bit of difference loading standard pressure .38 spl), I could tell by the feel in the expander die of every one of those 6 pieces of Federal brass as they randomly came through that batch of 656. More resistance both on the in, and out strokes. I've also run into several types of .44 mag brass that are obviously thicker walled that do the same in my Lee .44 mag expander die. Nothing has ever caused me any serious concern with the "issue" though.

Just thought I'd add that back into the discussion, for what it's worth.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

JD, I'm just glad to hear from ya. Been awhile. True enough, that has been mentioned before, but call me a hard head, I find whether its new Starline, or federal range brass, I've never experienced the bench splitting torque for any other caliber I've loaded. I bought the RCBS die to prove my theory wrong and that it was simply the 45c's being the culprit, even though in my own mind that didnt make sense. So, when I tried it out on different cases, new and once, twice fired cases, I was pleasantly surprised at what a difference it was, and lets not forget, all with no lube required. I can only come away from that, believing, of the two designs,the one is better. It would be telling if another reloader has had a similar experience and could share it here. Early on, one posted a similar experience with his Lee 45c expander. I followed his suggestion by polihing the do-dad and it helped but lube (bag balm) was still required. For me, and my reloading regimen, it just works better since i like to resize/deprime then clean and polish then expand right before charging. I know Don would say to simply change my habits, in his defence I would, if I ended up still needing lube to expand the case, but as it turns out, I don't.....works for me.
Dave M
--//--
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Dave

I don't doubt for a second that is a condition that's specific to the Lee dies ..... not unlike the issues with the "ring" in the FCD (non-collett) pistol dies. I think Lee tends to build their stuff to extremely tight tolerances, around a specific type of loads, using components of (their) specific tolerances. I'm beginning to think their tolerance issue is very similar to certain firearms like Kimber (really tight when new) and Colt with such items as the original M14 .... assembled too tight to work in the necessary conditions (what I've heard, and not personally experienced).

May be a design flaw in the Lee dies, or just may be that the tolerances are too tight?

Glad you're up and running regardless of the cause of the glitch :)

jd
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Thanks, JD
Dave M
--//--
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C