Messing with a powder puff load in 45-70

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Messing with a powder puff load in 45-70

Post by joec »

This is more a plinking/range round and short distances but thought I would give it a try. I got a sample pack of 20 45-70 RNFP in 405 gr to try out from Badman Bullets. I figured on loading with Trailboss between 12 gr to 13 gr. Just wondering if anyone has loaded with traiboss for lighter target shooting. Oh and the range for this bullet came from IMR-Trailboss page for Cowboy Action Loads among others.
Joe
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Messing with a powder puff load in 45-70

Post by pricedo »

joec wrote:This is more a plinking/range round and short distances but thought I would give it a try. I got a sample pack of 20 45-70 RNFP in 405 gr to try out from Badman Bullets. I figured on loading with Trailboss between 12 gr to 13 gr. Just wondering if anyone has loaded with traiboss for lighter target shooting. Oh and the range for this bullet came from IMR-Trailboss page for Cowboy Action Loads among others.
I have used "The Load" in many rifle cartridges over .30 caliber and with case capacities equal to or greater than .35 Remington for years to create "squib" loads for taking rabbits & grouse for the camp stew pot while hunting big game.
I find it much preferable to loading shot in rifle cartridges or firing .410 gauge shot shells from .45 caliber rifles.
"The Load" has been around by many for years and consists of 13 grains of Hercules Red Dot shotgun/pistol powder and either a cast of jacketed bullet in the normal range for the caliber which in the case of the 45-70 would be from 300 grain jacketed HPs to 400-ish grain cast lead or jacketed bullets.
I have found The Load to be accurate, clean burning, firing position insensitive and absolutely safe...........it's been around for years..............Google "The Load" for more information from the internet.

***PS: This information is provided for discussion purposes only and use it at your own risk.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Messing with a powder puff load in 45-70

Post by joec »

pricedo wrote:I have used "The Load" in many rifle cartridges over .30 caliber and with case capacities equal to or greater than .35 Remington for years to create "squib" loads for taking rabbits & grouse for the camp stew pot while hunting big game.
I find it much preferable to loading shot in rifle cartridges or firing .410 gauge shot shells from .45 caliber rifles.
"The Load" has been around by many for years and consists of 13 grains of Hercules Red Dot shotgun/pistol powder and either a cast of jacketed bullet in the normal range for the caliber which in the case of the 45-70 would be from 300 grain jacketed HPs to 400-ish grain cast lead or jacketed bullets.
I have found The Load to be accurate, clean burning, firing position insensitive and absolutely safe...........it's been around for years..............Google "The Load" for more information from the internet.

***PS: This information is provided for discussion purposes only and use it at your own risk.
Thanks again for the information. I was mostly wondering about the accuracy on these. I have Laser Cast and Remington jacketed flat point soft tip bullets for hunting loads using 3031 or Reloader 7 with.

Just thought I would give Badman Bullets a chance to show me what they had for my CAS shooting. So far pretty impress with them as the lube they use they say is compatible with either smokeless or BP to 1,200 fps. I also found the batch I got was measure dead on for wight and size. I also plan on loading a few with BP using 60 gr of powder (actually more volume than weight with it however). I expect the BP to have more recoil however in this application.
Joe