Best Powder for 45 colt

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
DennisH

Best Powder for 45 colt

Post by DennisH »

I'm back to working on loads for my 45. In the quest for more velocity I think 296 is the best powder , at least looking at published loads.I was using titegroup but noticed it didn't shoot the same each time. Or at least not till the barrel warmed up?
Also I got a chance to look at a 454 casull and I can't see any real difference visually over my 45 colt. Just the tube is heavier but they looked identical almost. I was thinking of buying it but do I really need another rifle.The wife gave me a funny look so I think I can just get good power out of the 45 colt. Regular loads just seem so mild now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Best Powder for 45 colt

Post by Ranch Dog »

DennisH wrote:I'm back to working on loads for my 45. In the quest for more velocity I think 296 is the best powder , at least looking at published loads.
I'm not sure what bullet you are shooting but 296 and Lil'Gun tend to be the top runners with USA available powders. I'm saying this based on how I do things and that is running the R92 at 35.0 KPSI. Even taking a conservative approach, 30.0 KPSI, those two choices can deliver 1600 FPS from the 16" barrel.
DennisH wrote:I was using titegroup but noticed it didn't shoot the same each time. Or at least not till the barrel warmed up?
I went back through your posts and saw that it was 8-grains of the TiteGroup. The performance is not consistent because it is only filling up 45% of the available space in the case. Each time you pull the trigger that little amount of powder is spread out across the length of the case. It could never produce consistent performance unless you used a "filler" to hold the charge against the flash hole. There are safety consideration in using that filler that must be considered.
DennisH wrote:Also I got a chance to look at a 454 casull and I can't see any real difference visually over my 45 colt. Just the tube is heavier but they looked identical almost. I was thinking of buying it but do I really need another rifle.The wife gave me a funny look so I think I can just get good power out of the 45 colt. Regular loads just seem so mild now.
My experience owning the two is that I carry/hunt the 45 Colt more than I do the 454 Casull. It would be the other way around if things in the Texas had claws & fangs and wanted to use those tools to eat you.

Both of my rifles have the 20" barrel and are setup identically as scout rifles. The 454 weighs .6 lbs more. That doesn't sound like much but in the scheme of things it causes me to pick up the 45 Colt more often. That weight is simply in the form of some of the features that do make the 454 more attractive; the magazine tube and the features of the butt stock to include the recoil pad.

For me, loading the R92 45 Colt to 35.0 KPSI makes the performance differences less (as compared to using SAAMI loads). My load of Lil'Gun delivers 1775 FPS with my 290-grain bullet. That makes it a 200-yard whitetail and hog rifle. I haven't hunted desert mule deer or antelope in four years now but it would handle them as well. I could throw my 44 Mag in this as well. Either could replace the 454 Casull but I would have a hard time choosing between the Colt or Mag.

Do you have a chronograph. Just wondering as I didn't see recorded velocities mentioned in your posts. If not, I would suggest that you buy one instead of rolling more into a R92. Use the chrony to explore and expand the envelop that you are working with in the 45 Colt.
Michael
DennisH

Post by DennisH »

I'm using the same bullets. 300 grain LRN. I bought a box of 400 , so I have plenty to practice with.
I guess I should buy a chronograph instead. I will have some money after Christmas. Any suggestions ? Is it better to get a good one then waste saving money then wanting a better one later.
I noticed shooting at 150 yards I would get really low shots sometimes and especially when the barrel was cold.
Not that I have a lot of rifles but I like shooting my Rossi best .Shooting at close ranges doesn't seem as challenging and I wanted to see just what it will do at longer ranges. I think 150 yards is a good range for it with practice. Where I shoot I can get to 185 yards so I'm slowly moving back.
I didn't get to see any bucks during deer season. A lot of does. I did see an almost silver very young deer. I almost shot it because of its color but thought he or she needed the fur more then me.But I never saw one that color before.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

If you have an iPhone on Droid, I would buy the Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph Premium Kit. I own two others, Chrony F1 and CED, but will move to this inclusive kit the next time one hick ups. Just be sure that your device is compatible before you buy it by going to the apps store to download the Caldwell Ballistics. If this doesn't fit your needs, I would have to recommend the CED.

The flyer at the longer distance can be explained by velocity deviations recorded at the shot.

I admire your constraint in hunting! I'm probably not going to shoot a deer this year as I'm just not seeing the number and quality of bucks to make it happen.
Michael
jdb

Post by jdb »

Yep, Ranch is steering you right, about the loads AND the reason for the inconstant loads with Tightgroupe. The heaviest bullet you can SAFELY get going as fast as you can will give ya, not only the most knock-down power, but the most stable trajectory at distance.

Because you can get them going faster for the same pressures, lighter bullets shoot flatter over shorter distances, but when they begin to loose velocity, they begin to drop a LOT faster. Bigger bullets require more elevation allowance between, say, 25 and 200 yards, but the arch is a lot more predictable at distance. And they are a lot less effected by wind or brush.

Plus, a big ol' heavy 45 going really fast will flat adjust the attitude of about any black bear or moose you're likely to get into a scrap with out in the wilds of Up State. ;~)

By the way, I don't know if you've ever thought about it, but you might consider this. The 45/70 government was for much of this countries early history, the most powerful cartridge and rifle you could get for the common man. It's taken a many a buffalo and bear. If you look at the old 45/70, which was just a 45 over 70 grains of black powder, the ballistics for a lot of those loads out of even an old Sharps and what Ranch is shooting out of his R92 with modern powders and bullets, really aren't that far apart.

So a modern 45 colt load out of our Rossi is really a pretty dang potent combination. And as Ranch pointed out, same thing with the 44 magnum. Just something to think about before ya go to that other and more expensive 454 ammo.
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson
DennisH

Post by DennisH »

I clicked on your link and it was on sale! It is back ordered so it will be here in January. I will just relax for now and wait till it gets here to do anymore reloading.
I originally wanted a 45/70 but my wife said there aren't any buffalo loose in the woods so I didn't need one. I did remind her that she was the one who saw one in the middle of the road once. It had gotten loose from a farm nearby.
I'll just stay with the 45 and save my money. I hope to retire in 4 years so I'm trying to get everything paid off bill wise before then.
Thank you for the help and info.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

DennisH wrote:I clicked on your link and it was on sale! It is back ordered so it will be here in January. I will just relax for now and wait till it gets here to do anymore reloading.
I originally wanted a 45/70 but my wife said there aren't any buffalo loose in the woods so I didn't need one. I did remind her that she was the one who saw one in the middle of the road once. It had gotten loose from a farm nearby.
I'll just stay with the 45 and save my money. I hope to retire in 4 years so I'm trying to get everything paid off bill wise before then.
Thank you for the help and info.
All the above sounds like a great plan.
Michael
se3388

Post by se3388 »

Not sure you want to mess with another powder but I get very good velocity (and accuracy) with H110. That is about all I use in the 45 Colt and .454.

Steve........
NRA Benefactor Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life member
USAF Veteran
DennisH

Post by DennisH »

I haven't decided which powder to try yet. H110 is one of them.W296 and LilGun also. Its just cold and snowy out so I'll wait awhile.I reload also for my M1Carbine so a powder I can use for both helps. Thats where I got the IMR 4227.
I picked a box of Hornady XTP Mag 300gr to try out.
Pustic

Post by Pustic »

For cowboy loads I like to use Trail Boss, but for a little more power, I like to use H-110 under Hornady 250 or 300 grain XTP's.
Am I paranoid? Nope, I'm heavily armed!