Best Powder for 45 colt

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
GasGuzzler

Re: Best Powder for 45 colt

Post by GasGuzzler »

You're correct. The BLT becomes a BLTP.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Conventional wisdom (?) is they are different enough that there is separate loading data for each. On the latest burn rate chart I have IMR 4227 is above H4227. Interestingly with the other "twins" H-110 and WW 296 the Hodgdon product is listed first. These are relative burn rates and in the scheme of things a difference of one place may not make a big difference, but on the other hand could be significant. We're dealing with extremes of temperature and pressure and caution is called for :D .

As always make smoke not shrapnel,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Greebe

Post by Greebe »

I have loaded many thousands of .45 Colt rounds with 2400 and H-110. Both can give pretty good velocity and more case volume. They are a slower burning powder so they seem to get better velocities in rifles. The old standby that I have loaded tons of .45C with is also Unique. Probably not the most popular these days, but it used to be a pretty standard load. 10gr of Unique under a 250 cast lead bullet are pretty accurate in my guns and have decent velocity(shade over 1000fps out of 5.5" barrel). Some complain it is dirty, but it does not seem that bad to me. Nice thing about Unique is that if you load 9-10gr you can get a lot of loads, i.e. 700-775 loads on a pound of powder. That is part of the draw for me. It shoots pretty well out of .45 ACP as well.

I have to dig up my reloading notes, but I used to use a heavy charge of H-110 that pushed a 250-260gr cast lead bullet pretty fast. More powder used means less loads per pound though and I like to shoot a lot, thus my typical use of Unique.