what size bullets you use for 3030

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

what size bullets you use for 3030

Post by akuser47 »

I am lookin into the rio grande in 3030 I am likin it alot. So now I need to learn the ins and outs of the the components for use in this rifle. Anyone know the twist rate in the RG 3030 is it 1 n 12 barrel?
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Dan 444
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: what size bullets you use for 3030

Post by Dan 444 »

Have no idea of the twist in the Rossi. In my Marlin 3030's, I use the RD cast 165g and used to use the Hornady jacketed 170g FP. Both with a max load of H4895. 150g bullets just didn't group well in my Marlins.

Dan
Centaur 1
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Centaur 1 »

akuser47 wrote:I am lookin into the rio grande in 3030 I am likin it alot. So now I need to learn the ins and outs of the the components for use in this rifle. Anyone know the twist rate in the RG 3030 is it 1 n 12 barrel?
The Rossi Rio Grande has ballard style rifling with a 1-12" twist, which is the main reason that I chose the Rio Grande over a Marlin. I wanted a rifle that was dedicated to shooting cast bullets and the Marlin uses 1-10" rifling which is really fast for cast bullets. If you cast your own bullets, do yourself a favor and buy a Ranch Dog C311-170-RF mold.

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/index.p ... cts_id=129
"We have federal regulations and state laws that prohibit hunting ducks with more than three rounds. And yet it's legal to hunt humans with 15-round, 30-round, even 150-round magazines." Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-California)
Trailboss
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Trailboss »

I'm pretty sure the Marlin also has micro-groove rifling which means it's cut very shallow. The RG has much deeper cut grooves and is better for cast if you wish to use it.
Aim small, miss small.
Centaur 1
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Centaur 1 »

Trailboss wrote:I'm pretty sure the Marlin also has micro-groove rifling which means it's cut very shallow. The RG has much deeper cut grooves and is better for cast if you wish to use it.

Micro-groove rifling is less forgiving if you're doing something wrong, as long as the barrel is slugged and an appropriately sized bullet is used, mg rifling works as good as ballard. Just think about how many .22lr bullets have been shot from a button rifled barrel, it's the same situation. I believe that MG rifling got a bad rap because people bought off the shelf, hard cast bullets that were the same diameter as jacketed bullets. Our fearless leader Ranch Dog, has built an empire around shooting cast bullets through a micro-grooved barrel.
"We have federal regulations and state laws that prohibit hunting ducks with more than three rounds. And yet it's legal to hunt humans with 15-round, 30-round, even 150-round magazines." Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-California)
Trailboss
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Trailboss »

Centaur 1 wrote:
Trailboss wrote:I'm pretty sure the Marlin also has micro-groove rifling which means it's cut very shallow. The RG has much deeper cut grooves and is better for cast if you wish to use it.

Micro-groove rifling is less forgiving if you're doing something wrong, as long as the barrel is slugged and an appropriately sized bullet is used, mg rifling works as good as ballard. Just think about how many .22lr bullets have been shot from a button rifled barrel, it's the same situation. I believe that MG rifling got a bad rap because people bought off the shelf, hard cast bullets that were the same diameter as jacketed bullets. Our fearless leader Ranch Dog, has built an empire around shooting cast bullets through a micro-grooved barrel.
That's good to know and makes a lot of sense. Thanks Centaur
Aim small, miss small.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

thanks for all the info guys
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!