New to reloading

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Puddle-jumper
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: New to reloading

Post by Puddle-jumper »

Thanks for the info, Ranch Dog. Guess I should get one of the FCD's to go with my outfit.

Akuser47, the Pro Auto-Disk comes with 4 interchangeble disks with different size numbered holes for dropping the powder
through. They are consistent but seem to drop different amounts with different powders. The kit I have comes
with a powder scale and I also have a Redding, that I use mostly, to check the charge every few loads.

-_______________________________
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

akuser47 wrote:What do you use to get charges and how consistent is it? I am using an old OHAUS 1010 scale which is now owned and sold by RCBS
Puddle-jumper wrote:...the Pro Auto-Disk comes with 4 interchangeble disks with different size numbered holes for dropping the powder through. They are consistent but seem to drop different amounts with different powders. The kit I have comes with a powder scale and I also have a Redding, that I use mostly, to check the charge every few loads.
Each powder has a spec that has been filed with SAAMI recording a number of unique features of the powder. One of the specs is the density or more specifically, the specific gravity of the powder. I mention this because it is important when volume measurements are used to drop charges. The powder charges for a vast majority of the factory ammo sold is dropped by volume measurement rather than by weight. The actual powder at the time of manufacture must be within 16% of the manufacturer's specific gravy spec.

It is very easy to use the specific gravity of a powder to determine volume measurement. Lee Precision uses a Volume Measured Density for each powder and when that number is multiplied by the desired grain-charge, delivers a result in cubic centimeters "cc". From that you can set the specific cc on the Perfect Powder Measure or Adjustable Charge Bar or select a suitable fixed disk for the Auto Disk.

When reading about volume measurement or the measuring tools that deliver the charges, such as those listed above, you often will see comments that imply the tools are not accurate and are not dropping the appropriate charges. Accuracy or repeatably is often operator error but consistent charge that is different that the published charge is simply a powder that is not at the spec's specific gravity. Remember there is quite an allowance allowed in the manufacture.

Each time you crack open a new canister of powder, you should determine the actual VMD of that powder and I suggest you write it on the canister with permanent ink, as that is the number you will be working with for the life of that canister. Determining that VMD is very easy. I use the average of ten drop charges from a cc setting that is close to what I will be working with for that powder application. As an example, for Lil' Gun I would drop ten charges at 1.5 cc from the Perfect Powder Measure as that would be a typical setting for the short cartridges that Lil' Gun is appropriate. I record each charge and the average of those charges would be used to determine the VMD. If I'm working with a powder like H4895, as used with the 444 Marlin or 45-70 Govt., I would probably develop my average charge by using the 3 cc setting on the measure. The Lee "dippers" are another great tool to use for this as they are still a fixed cavity measure.

With an average charge, VMD is determined by dividing the cc used to drop the charge by the average charge. The result is the VMD (cc / grains = VMD). This is an example of using the 1.6 cc dipper to drop 10 charges of Lil' Gun onto a scale. The average of the charges is 24.2-grains. 1.6 divided by 24.2 equals .0661 which is the VMD of the specific lot of powder. Recording and using this number will result in very consistent charges being delivered as long as the operator is consistent in dropping the charges. When you are ready to drop specific charges, VMD X the desired grain charge will result in the cc setting (VMD X grains = cc).

My experience has been that the progressive and semi-progressive (Lee Turret with Auto-Index) presses deliver the most accurate powder drops when using the Auto Disk. The steady movement of the turret translated up through the Auto Index consistently charges the cavity. With a single stage press, the auto index should be tapped consistently when it is in the resting position so that the cavity charges. The same with the Perfect Powder Measure. When the lever is raised to charge the cc adjustable cavity tube, the hopper should be consistently tapped to completely fill the tube. When delivering large rifle charges, you also need to give it a second to charge the tube completely.

Many moons ago, I came up with a spreadsheet to help me work with VMD as used with any Lee powder dispensing tool and have improved it over time. It is attached below, use it at your own risk.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

looks like santa needs to bring me a lee 4 hole turret press so I can set it up to mass load some 9mm for plinking. I can afford this powder measure and with you haveing already set the math for me to set it up. Thank you, you are a living resource ranchdog. I learn somthing almost every time you post in threads I am involved in thanks.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

akuser47 wrote:looks like santa needs to bring me a lee 4 hole turret press so I can set it up to mass load some 9mm for plinking. I can afford this powder measure and with you haveing already set the math for me to set it up. Thank you, you are a living resource ranchdog. I learn somthing almost every time you post in threads I am involved in thanks.
You are welcome, I'm here to help and have fun.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
akuser47 wrote:What do you use to get charges and how consistent is it? I am using an old OHAUS 1010 scale which is now owned and sold by RCBS
Puddle-jumper wrote:...the Pro Auto-Disk comes with 4 interchangeble disks with different size numbered holes for dropping the powder through. They are consistent but seem to drop different amounts with different powders. The kit I have comes with a powder scale and I also have a Redding, that I use mostly, to check the charge every few loads.
Each powder has a spec that has been filed with SAAMI recording a number of unique features of the powder. One of the specs is the density or more specifically, the specific gravity of the powder. I mention this because it is important when volume measurements are used to drop charges. The powder charges for a vast majority of the factory ammo sold is dropped by volume measurement rather than by weight. The actual powder at the time of manufacture must be within 16% of the manufacturer's specific gravy spec.

It is very easy to use the specific gravity of a powder to determine volume measurement. Lee Precision uses a Volume Measured Density for each powder and when that number is multiplied by the desired grain-charge, delivers a result in cubic centimeters "cc". From that you can set the specific cc on the Perfect Powder Measure or Adjustable Charge Bar or select a suitable fixed disk for the Auto Disk.

When reading about volume measurement or the measuring tools that deliver the charges, such as those listed above, you often will see comments that imply the tools are not accurate and are not dropping the appropriate charges. Accuracy or repeatably is often operator error but consistent charge that is different that the published charge is simply a powder that is not at the spec's specific gravity. Remember there is quite an allowance allowed in the manufacture.

Each time you crack open a new canister of powder, you should determine the actual VMD of that powder and I suggest you write it on the canister with permanent ink, as that is the number you will be working with for the life of that canister. Determining that VMD is very easy. I use the average of ten drop charges from a cc setting that is close to what I will be working with for that powder application. As an example, for Lil' Gun I would drop ten charges at 1.5 cc from the Perfect Powder Measure as that would be a typical setting for the short cartridges that Lil' Gun is appropriate. I record each charge and the average of those charges would be used to determine the VMD. If I'm working with a powder like H4895, as used with the 444 Marlin or 45-70 Govt., I would probably develop my average charge by using the 3 cc setting on the measure. The Lee "dippers" are another great tool to use for this as they are still a fixed cavity measure.

With an average charge, VMD is determined by dividing the cc used to drop the charge by the average charge. The result is the VMD (cc / grains = VMD). This is an example of using the 1.6 cc dipper to drop 10 charges of Lil' Gun onto a scale. The average of the charges is 24.2-grains. 1.6 divided by 24.2 equals .0661 which is the VMD of the specific lot of powder. Recording and using this number will result in very consistent charges being delivered as long as the operator is consistent in dropping the charges. When you are ready to drop specific charges, VMD X the desired grain charge will result in the cc setting (VMD X grains = cc).

My experience has been that the progressive and semi-progressive (Lee Turret with Auto-Index) presses deliver the most accurate powder drops when using the Auto Disk. The steady movement of the turret translated up through the Auto Index consistently charges the cavity. With a single stage press, the auto index should be tapped consistently when it is in the resting position so that the cavity charges. The same with the Perfect Powder Measure. When the lever is raised to charge the cc adjustable cavity tube, the hopper should be consistently tapped to completely fill the tube. When delivering large rifle charges, you also need to give it a second to charge the tube completely.

Many moons ago, I came up with a spreadsheet to help me work with VMD as used with any Lee powder dispensing tool and have improved it over time. It is attached below, use it at your own risk.
**I find that the interfaces of utilities like VMD Calculator.xls are more user friendly and intuitive when VB code (macros) are used with objects such as command buttons and text boxes located on graphic userforms.
A VB Script which prompts the user with input boxes is also a very user friendly method of doing detailed calculations.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
The 2 dimensional text only approach using EXCELs built in formulas can be quite confusing.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:**I find that the interfaces of utilities like VMD Calculator.xls are more user friendly and intuitive when VB code (macros) are used with objects such as command buttons and text boxes located on graphic userforms.
A VB Script which prompts the user with input boxes is also a very user friendly method of doing detailed calculations.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
The 2 dimensional text only approach using EXCELs built in formulas can be quite confusing.
You are welcome to modify the file, anybody is. I posted it as I use it.
Michael
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

New to reloading

Post by Rooster59 »

Thanks for the "complete" explanation of the various FCD styles Ranch Dog. I use the FCD faithfully and successfully with all my pistol and rifle calibers, but I couldn't figure out why the pistol models had a solid ring.

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver