Reloading Data for 92 .357

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Kiwi-Hunter

Re: Reloading Data for 92 .357

Post by Kiwi-Hunter »

Hi Don & Archer
Basically pick a powder and a bullet and we can dig up some data that should help.
I haven't been able to get info from my bud on the FTXs yet but I am hopeful I still might be able to do that soon.
The FTX arrived to day and the loading dies are being sent today as well should have them tomorrow.
The FTX look like a good thumper.
FTX.jpg

If you can work on the Alliant 2400 and data for the blue dot if you have a load.
Decided to pull all those 158gn so could reload them with blue or 2400? On the primer side I only have Win pistol primers for these we cases.? should these be OK with you loading data.
Unique is my favorite powder for mid range loads. This powder is the same level as the AP70N.
Which gives me three powders 2400, AP70N, and the blue dot, I could use up the green dot.
But not wanting to play around like Don with 48 different kinds of powders . Now there's a head cold.
Look forward to your input, akuser47 did have a picture of some data at the start of the thread.
but the pictures wasn't that clear.
Just to recap FTX 148 for a .357 Rossi 92 16" Barrel ,Win primers, 2400 powder or AP70N, blue dot.
the starting rate and max load. any input is well come.
But the data should have some sort of loading evidence.
Not some wild cat load. I have put this in in case other members have some information on the FTX 140gn.
Alliant 2400. powder.
KH
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No one ever regrets buying quality
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

The load data I previously posted for 2400 used CCI small pistol magnum primers.
I wouldn't have a problem substituting Winchester small pistol magnum primers, working up to the top loads slowly. The Hornady manual I have close to hand used Winchester small pistol magnum primers.

I may have some data using standard (non-magnum) primers but the Lyman, Hornady and Metallic Cartridge Reloading books I have close to hand both use small pistol magnum primers. I'll have to check my Speer, Sierra, and Hodgdon books.
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Man, that cannelure sure is toward the front of that bullet. Like AK showed us when he pulled the tip out of one. There's a big hole under there, so more of the lead is moved rearward. That puts more bullet in the case taking up powder room.

I can not find specific data for that bullet. But I read several post where they advised to use data for 158 grain bullets, and start with the suggested starting load and work up. That's what I have done in the past when I could not find data for a certain bullet. It's late here now, but in the morning I'll go out to the shop and look up 158g data for you if you like.

Yes, the winchester WSP primers should be ok with all of those powders. None of them are hard to light off. That's what I use with them most of the time. I also use federal and cci, and really what ever they have at the gun shop. I use magnum primers only if the powder absolutely makes me do it, or the store is out of standard primers.

I'll get data for alliant 2400, alliant Blue Dot, and for Hodgdon Universal instead of the Unique, since you said the AP70N is relabeled Hodgdon powders. Unless you would rather have the unique data? The two or three times I saw them both together, the Universal was loading 1+ grains lower than Unique.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

donhuff wrote:Man, that cannelure sure is toward the front of that bullet. Like AK showed us when he pulled the tip out of one. There's a big hole under there, so more of the lead is moved rearward. That puts more bullet in the case taking up powder room.

I can not find specific data for that bullet. But I read several post where they advised to use data for 158 grain bullets, and start with the suggested starting load and work up. That's what I have done in the past when I could not find data for a certain bullet. It's late here now, but in the morning I'll go out to the shop and look up 158g data for you if you like.

Yes, the winchester WSP primers should be ok with all of those powders. None of them are hard to light off. That's what I use with them most of the time. I also use federal and cci, and really what ever they have at the gun shop. I use magnum primers only if the powder absolutely makes me do it, or the store is out of standard primers.

I'll get data for alliant 2400, alliant Blue Dot, and for Hodgdon Universal instead of the Unique, since you said the AP70N is relabeled Hodgdon powders. Unless you would rather have the unique data? The two or three times I saw them both together, the Universal was loading 1+ grains lower than Unique.
I agree loose info abounds for our ftx bullets so practice before you play. Please all that have hands on with any ftx bullets keep us posted to your results so we all can learn. The .357 140 grainrounds though I think can an do have potential.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Kiwi-Hunter

Post by Kiwi-Hunter »

Thanks Don Archer what you are doing for me, and all for that matter who will read and receive something from this.
I know in the little I have posted there is a effort required.
I think akuser47 is correct I think this will wiz and thump.
I changed a 22-250 projectile to those V max with great success :D
The light weight projectile will fly faster and flatter, but energy drops off quicker than a heaver prod.
But in the case of .357 which is not going for the 300yd +, to me it makes sense if it will shoot flat and fast with impact.
I saw this projectile before I had any info, this has turned out a chase.( new dies and powder etc.)
I was thinking America would have had it sorted, as keen pistol shooters up to full auto.
It will be great to get a load that all can enjoy.
With out to much changing a load for hunting with, and safe flat shooting load for the
357 ROSSI 92 16" people +corn
KH
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

I am very much a newby to reloading brass cartridges. It seems a company puts out a new reloading book every 5 to 10 years. There's a lot of new technology that happens in the bullet making world during that time like the flexy tips that seem to be the rage. I would have to think that powder manufacturer with any sense would jump on any bandwagon that's going to put dollars in their pockets. They'd get a case of these new bullets, work up some loads and head to the testing range.

So the first thing I'd do is to check their website for updated info. If none appears (they might be slow on updating the website), I'd send them an email asking what is the load data for powder XX for bullet XX.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
Kiwi-Hunter

Post by Kiwi-Hunter »

Thanks for that.
It was searching the web that's how I found the Rossi band of brothers.
As info goes not much, and these FTX's are sold as a 38 cal. so data is mostly pistol
with barrels the are of different twist rates and are shorter etc.
So for me in New Zealand it only seemed the thing to do was to ask people who use Rossi's.
As you see there is a lot of information on this forum.
So I asked a question and here I am still asking the reloading question.
( I don't bale out halfway through a post)
A lot of the members post on different sites as well.
So there will be a wealth of knowledge by people who do the hard yards.
ie Don and his 48 different kinds of powders is a very good example
of what I am talking about.
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Hey KH,
If you want a special projectile for that 22-250, pull some 40 grain 22 magnum slugs and use them. I had them going 4443fps about 20 years ago. BUT some of them would not make it to 100 meters. Half way there you would see a puff of bluish smoke where they were flying apart because of the thin jacket and the RPM. At least that's what I was told. Seemed to happen more on humid damp days. I bet with modern powders, you could go even faster.

In my searching for load data for that bullet, I ran across several people how seem to think that the ftx does not live up to the hype Hornady gave it. The CD of the XTP is actually better by a small margin, and the flex tip is really not needed as a hollow point, soft point or round nose bullet is just as safe. They say that the XTP will actually shoot flatter, but the difference is all but wasted when used in a lever gun with it's usual mediocre accuracy. I shoot so few jacketed bullets that I am not a good judge about them. I'm a cast SWC shooter.

And having said that, I have to say that while shooting at my son's house a week ago, where we had a steel plate (11"x16") out to 230 yards. I was able to "ring the steel" quite easily with just one more notch of up added to the rear sight, from the 150yd setting. This was with a 44 mag R92 and the load was nowhere near magnum velocity. The load was 7.0 grains of Alliant Red Dot, and a Lyman 429421 bullet cast from wheel weights, and powder coated instead of lubed. I have chronographed this load lately and at 10 feet it clocks 1100-1150 fps....magnum not. Later we switched to 20.0 of alliant 2400 and the same slug. I thought I would have to move the sight back down, but not so. I was hitting with the same setting. If we had been using paper targets so we could see the impact points, I'm sure it would have called for a sight change. But as long as the steel is ringing, I aint gonna move the sights. And Archer, that 20.0 grain load is a touch on the hot side like you said. I was looking at the primers yesterday while sizing ALL THAT BRASS, and your right, it's a shade hot. I'm gonna back it down to 19-19.5 and retry them.

Then when we started shooting my son's 6.5x08. We moved the scope because it was 3/4" right and 1-1/2" low of dead center on the 8x11 inch plate :shock: and by golly, we wanted it dead center!
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Moon Tree wrote:I am very much a newby to reloading brass cartridges. It seems a company puts out a new reloading book every 5 to 10 years. There's a lot of new technology that happens in the bullet making world during that time like the flexy tips that seem to be the rage. I would have to think that powder manufacturer with any sense would jump on any bandwagon that's going to put dollars in their pockets. They'd get a case of these new bullets, work up some loads and head to the testing range.

So the first thing I'd do is to check their website for updated info. If none appears (they might be slow on updating the website), I'd send them an email asking what is the load data for powder XX for bullet XX.

Yeah, but we like shooting, and they like making money. Hype will sell more bullets than factual data will, any day of the week. Until you get to a very select group like bench rest or 100 yard competition. Us everyday shooter who make up the majority of bullet buyers, will usually try anything once. Multiply that by a couple million. Those other guys tend to stick with what is proven fact, and don't buy near the amount of lead that we do.
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

KH,
I'm finally getting to that data!

from the new Lee manual 357 magnum 158g XTP bullet.

herc 2400.....13.0 to 14.8@ 1265fps I dont know why they called it herc as Alliant has owned it for a long time.

Alliant Blue Dot.....9.0 to 10.2@ 1188

Hodgdon Universal.....5.8 to 6.3 @1133

And as a comparison. Alliant Unique 6.8 to 7.7@ 1040

The shocker to me in this data, and I guess it's in here because this is the newest book out there (I think). Is alliant's 300MP. And I included it because you have other alliant powders and seem to be able to get them easily. And because you seem to be after a truly magnum loading.

Alliant 300MP..... 16.4 to 18.6 @ 1686 FPS !!!! Dang!

I have shot some of the 300MP, and at first did not think it was going to work. But later I put more powder in the cases and it did really well. I did not have a chrono at that time, but I could tell by the was the steel plate was ringing, that the bullet was going a good bit faster than my 2400 load was traveling. That 1686 is 100 fps faster than they are listing loads with 110/296 and LilGun.
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70