Reloading Data for 92 .357

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Kiwi-Hunter

Reloading Data for 92 .357

Post by Kiwi-Hunter »

I have had a look at the reloading data.
Nothing seems to jump out, saying pick me.
I have some 38cal 140grn FTX.
Most of our powder in New Zealand which is the easy to get is ADI, but saying that I run IMR 3031 in the 308.
So what I would like is a good hunting load with the thump hole ability
I only use 110gn in the 308 and it thumb nails them and can kill red and fellow deer at 300yrds no problem.
Smaller game like goats 500+ but the power is falling off. 300 is good for most.3.5 high @100yrd.
Anyway back to the real problem at hand, It's not always easy to find a load that works across the board.
Some fine tuning may be required, but when you have something that works well. If it's not broken don't fix it, Will work for me.
The other thing is on nickel cases love them or leave them?
A lot of questions but that's what the broads about, getting people like myself started with the 92 and safely.
So look forward to your comments and helping hand.
KH
No one ever regrets buying quality
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Reloading Data for 92 .357

Post by akuser47 »

I have some of the ftx bullets but stopped after one loading session as .357 brass to costly and beens it has to be trimmed to short to be used in standard .357loads makes the brass only usable for them. Sad that they didnt make them for .38 special cases but they are to short.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

I just looked over the data on the ADI web site, and the load they show for 140xtp and ar2205 @ 18.0 grains, should do anything that the 357 is capable of. At 1685 fps, it's in the upper range for velocity with ANY powder. Another powder might get you a little faster, but I would definitely try this one cause I like using powders that are easy to get. If it's really doing 1685 from a revolver, then you will bet right close to 2000 from your Rossi.
I think that the flex tip bullet might be longer than the xtp, so your load will have to be cut back a little if you seat it to the crimp groove. For bullets like this, I sometimes seat them where the fit the gun best, and use a Lee taper crimp die.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
Kiwi-Hunter

Post by Kiwi-Hunter »

just looked over the data on the ADI web site, and the load they show for 140xtp and ar2205 @ 18.0 grains, should do anything that the 357 is capable of. At 1685 fps, it's in the upper range for velocity with ANY powder. Another powder might get you a little faster, but I would definitely try this one cause I like using powders that are easy to get. If it's really doing 1685 from a revolver, then you will bet right close to 2000 from your Rossi.
I think that the flex tip bullet might be longer than the xtp, so your load will have to be cut back a little if you seat it to the crimp groove. For bullets like this, I sometimes seat them where the fit the gun best, and use a Lee taper crimp die.

Thanks for this ,I hadn't got to the ADI web.
I am shooting these out of the 16" 92 Rossi, I know with other loads in different rifles that fast is not always thump hole stuff.
Thanks for you input.
Do you have a pet load yourself?
KH
Kiwi-Hunter

Post by Kiwi-Hunter »

I have some of the ftx bullets but stopped after one loading session as .357 brass to costly and beens it has to be trimmed to short to be used in standard .357loads makes the brass only usable for them. Sad that they didnt make them for .38 special cases but they are to short.

Thanks for your reply, Not up to how this broad all works at the moment, as in post etc.
Never the less, I am loading for the .357 rifle and have no experience with small calibre reloading.
So a safe place to start is with people of like minded.
Don't no what this is [bgcolor=]38 special cases but they are to short.[/bgcolor] these projectiles will not work with the 38 special?? Take it slow we will get there in the end
KH
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

The .38 special cases are 1.15 in length sammi spec the .357 1.29 the hornady trim length for these ftx bullets is 1.25 the pics suck from my phone hope it helps
These are off the hornady site i wanted to link it but i could not find it so took pics of my sheet i printed a while back
ImageImageImageImageImage
Kiwi-Hunter

Post by Kiwi-Hunter »

The .38 special cases are 1.15 in length sammi spec the .357 1.29 the hornady trim length for these ftx bullets is 1.25
Thanks for this input.
Should have asked before I got them.
Well I will just have to dedicate some brass to them.
Thanks
KH
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Yea this is what i thought most do not relize same if you buy the .357 leverloution ammo that brass is short compared to standard .357 brass hinestlyyou will be plenty happy sticking with xtps they reqiur nothing special and have great expansion. Let me know if you want me to get abetter pic of the load data this sheet im giving you the info for came directly from hornady's site seems no longer provided.
I had lee custom make my cartrige giude so i coukd trim my cases to thus 1.25 thanks to rd introducing me to lees custom workshop they have
Kiwi-Hunter

Post by Kiwi-Hunter »

Yea this is what i thought most do not relize same if you buy the .357 leverloution ammo that brass is short compared to standard .357 brass hinestlyyou will be plenty happy sticking with xtps they reqiur nothing special and have great expansion. Let me know if you want me to get abetter pic of the load data this sheet im giving you the info for came directly from hornady's site seems no longer provided.
I had lee custom make my cartrige giude so i coukd trim my cases to thus 1.25 thanksto rd introducing me to lees custom workshop they have

Just ran the caliper over some of them 1.276 would be the most.
Good to have your input, as I have no one to guide me on this subject.
The short of it! I was given the Brass and nickel cases in 38 special and 357.
So picked something up to shoot it with.
Then started reading about the little rifle, never liked SS but the more I read it's growing on me.
So the 38 special most was nickel and 4000 win pistol primers.
What I here is nickel is hard on reloading dies so thought I will just keep the brass but when you think about it in the field, running and under growth you very seldom pick up the fired case! jobs done most times anyway.
Yes better picture of the data.
KH
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Kiwi,

Don't worry about the nickel cases. They wont hurt your dies unless you resize 100,000 cases a month. And so what if they did. Lee dies are so cheap that I would just get another sizer die every 500,000 rounds :lol:

My pet load for 357 for the last 30 years has been 13.5g of 2400 and a 358429 SWC. This load does everything I could want a 357 to do.

Can you get Hodgdon or Alliant powder? If so, LilGun is usually the one for absolute top speed. I have been using Alliant 300MP lately. And it appears to be a good powder for maximum loads too, but there is not much data out there for it.

What's the deal with shortening the brass for that bullet. Is the bullet too long? In the pic, it looks like the crimp groove is way toward the top. But maybe that point is making it look different to me.

AK, did you try loading some with standard length cases, and they were too long for the rossi? If so, I would be tempted to use some toe nail clippers and nip 1mm off of that point before I trimmed my brass. Or, if it's just a little bit too long. File back the stop on the carrier. I had to do this to my 16" 357 to make the 358429 cycle, as it is also a long bullet.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70