bullet stabilization

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
massmanute
Founding Member
Founding Member

bullet stabilization

Post by massmanute »

I have a Rossi lever action carbine chambered for .357 magnum. Does anyone know if the rifling (a rather slow 1 turn in 30 inches) will stabilize the Ranch Dog 190 grain bullet (TLC359-190-RF)?

Also, can the bullet be seated low enough to feed properly in the model 92?

Thanks.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: bullet stabilization

Post by Ranch Dog »

I do not own a Rossi chambered in 357 Mag, yet, but have a number of customers that do. For some reason that 1:30 is used on all the R92s to include both the 44 Mag and 45 Colt. Customers that shoot the 190-grain bullet tend to use 38 Spl brass to accommodate the nose length of that particular bullet while keeping the OAL to something that will fit within the cartridge confines of the 92. I feel that the TLC359-175-RF is a much better choice for the 357 Mag.

Quite a bit of time is spent getting the center of gravity of my bullets collocated with the center of pressure. I doubt that the rifle rate of twist will negatively impact the performance.
Michael
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

What is the center of pressure and how does it affect stabilization, etc
How can you change center of pressure to improve the accuracy. Etc
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Zippidydoodah wrote:What is the center of pressure and how does it affect stabilization, etc . How can you change center of pressure to improve the accuracy. Etc
Oh boy, this subject is beyond a simple answer but this might be as close as it gets:
The aerodynamic forces on the bullet as it flies from muzzle to target exert an overturning moment that can induce bullet wobble. This force is called the Center-of-Pressure. The Center-of-Pressure (CP) is the vector summation of aerodynamic forces acting on the bullet in flight. It is always in front of the Center-of-Gravity (CG) for a spin stabilized projectile. We really don’t need to know much about the CP except that the aerodynamic forces can be summed to act at a single point on the spin stabilized bullet in front of the CG and it will make the bullet wobble or tumble if not spun fast enough. Think of the distance between the CG and CP as a lever. The longer the lever the greater the force applied to making the bullet wobble. If the CP and CG acted at the same point the bullet would not tumble even if shot from a smooth bore. That type of bullet is commonly known as a “round ball.” Through bullet design we can work to shorten the distance between the CP and CG and improve bullet stability.
from Dan Theodore's web page.
Michael