Another 45-70 Rio Grande...

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
kliff
Founding Member
Founding Member

Another 45-70 Rio Grande...

Post by kliff »

I'm using Unique, and in no way imply, suggest, or recommend anyone do what I am doing. Just throwing it out there to see if anyone else is exploring the same pathway as I.
Grass roots testing with ZERO scientific equipment, just an old used shoulder, comparing "Factory" box ammo, with my reloads. The Factory stuff, was made by Remington, and had a copper jacketed soft point, 405g, OAL 2.550"....no other specs available.
My Unique rounds had 13g of powder, with a small stabilizing tuft of polyester fiber, under a 405 quenched WW Lee 457-405-F, pan lubed, CCI 200, Starline brass, OAL 2.5475"

Recoil and report were darn near identical to my uneducated ear and shoulder, and being in pursuit of a light "plinking" load, I decided to lighten the load a tad. The next batch goes out at a uniform 2.541-2.5415" w 12.5g of Unique.

Got a feeling I'm gonna end up around 11.5g to get what I want, but now that I have a starting point, albeit higher than I'd expected, I'll work my way back DOWN the ladder, since nothing seems out of the ordinary or stressed. I really thought 13 would be exactly where I wanted to be, after a bunch of reading and such...but that wasn't the case. No worries, and no apparent danger so, downward and forward we go. :mrgreen:
kliff
AR15, 5.56mm home made
'71 Winchester NRA Centennial 30/30
336 Marlin 30/30
Henry Big Boy 45LC
Rossi M92SS 45LC
Rossi Ranch Hand 45LC
Rossi Rio Grande 45-70
Ruger Black Hawk 45LC (x2)
Taurus Judge 45LC/.410
Taurus Tracker 357
Colt Gov't Mod
deaddoc4444

Re: Another 45-70 Rio Grande...

Post by deaddoc4444 »

Since it appears that you are looking for a "light plinking" load ONLY . I have two suggestions :
One reduce your bullet weight . Reduced bullet weight will reduce recoil . NUMEROUS molds are out there, since you cast , and are LESS than the 405 bullet you are using now . RDO here provides a 350 bullet BUT it is a Gas Check so it is more work . At the velocities you are gong to be at with the Unique load and EVEN the Remington Factory loads you mention ( about 1200 fps) YOU have NO need for any quenching of the bullet EVEN if your using pure lead another un-needed step. Easy to order some pre-cast bullets of lighter weight and if one works for you get a mold to match the bullet I have done that for years in numerous bullet calibers . If I order say 100 bullets and end up using only ,say 20 or so for my tests and dont like them , into the pot the rest go to mold others for my self. NO waste there if you already mold .
I am not a big fan of using a filler in 45/40 cases in reduced loads I have had bad experiences with them and had seen and heard of many others . I went to AA 5744 for reduced loads fills the case more, an NO NEED for any filler at all . Pressure curves are much better than the fast burning powder like Unique . I I happen to LIKE Unique a lot ( I Have one powder measure set up for UNIQUE ONLY ) And use it for lots of pistol and rifle uses but have stopped using it for reduced loads in rifle cases .
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Another 45-70 Rio Grande...

Post by joec »

I'll be trying Trail Boss among others with 300 gr cast bullets for plinking. I do have bullets by laser cast in 300, 350 and 405 gr. I will load all different for various purposes.
Joe