Heavy Bullet Ammo That Works For R92 Cartridges

Off the shelf ammo for all Rossi firearms.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Heavy Bullet Ammo That Works For R92 Cartridges

Post by Ranch Dog »

In the R92 forum there has been quite a few individual questions about Buffalo Bore and similar types of commerical ammo and whether it works through the R92's action or not, and any additional comments you might have. I would like to hear what your specific experiences have been with:
  • 357 Mag
    • 180 gr. Hard Cast LFN-GC
  • 44 Mag
    • Deer Grenade 240 gr.Soft Cast - GC
    • 305 gr. LBT-LFN
    • 340 gr. LFN-GC
  • 45 Colt
    • Deer Grenade 260 gr. Medium Cast HP-GC
    • 300 gr. JFN
  • 454 Casull
    • 300 gr. JFN
    • 325 gr. LBT-LFN
    • 360 gr. LBT- LWN
  • 480 Ruger
    • 370 gr. LBT-LFN
    • 410 gr. LBT-WFN
Your post will probably be moved to a more specific topic to make your comments easier to find and I will take care of that but if you are buying this type of ammo, I would like to hear about your experiences with it.
Last edited by Ranch Dog on 07 Mar 2013 21:04, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Retitled
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Buffalo Bore R92 Ammo

Post by pricedo »

Sorry for the slight detour off topic but that ammo you're loading RD with the optimum sized hard cast lead bullets we discussed on a thread just last week can't be far off the Buffalo Bore and Garrett ammo numbers in bullet weight, muzzle energy & generated chamber pressure?
Those numbers you posted were pretty darn impressive. :mrgreen:
What BB & G have been doing is keeping peak pressure relatively modest and maximizing the area under the pressure time curve with powders that "stay up" in pressure longer during the dwell time of the bullet in the barrel.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Buffalo Bore R92 Ammo

Post by Ranch Dog »

In that all of this ammo I listed is design around revolver use with mention of the Marlin 1894 in only one case, I'm more interested in knowing if the cartridges cycle and chamber in the R92. The only consideration given to the BB ammo is cylinder fit and not necessarily moving from a tube up and into the chamber. I would like to know what others have found as I field a lot of PM and email questions about it through this forum. I'd rather just be able to point to a topic.

Garrett is now only making two types of ammo, that for the 44 Mag and 45-70. One out of three of his 44 Mag choices specifically states that it will not fit through long guns; don't know about the other two.
Michael
scottz

Re: Heavy Bullet Ammo That Works For R92 Cartridges

Post by scottz »

I've exchanged some email with Tim Sundles on this topic in regards to .45 Colt. He stated that his .45 3D product should work fine in a 92. It's a 300 gr JFN with a COL of 1.575". Only sold in 50 ct boxes though. I haven't tried it myself. The deer grenade bullet is provided to BB by Rimrock in Montana. Been thinking about giving it a try. They also provide BB with other bullets.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I'm using 335 grain HD cast lead FP in 454 Casull commercial custom loaded ammo (COAL: 1.76") with a gently sloping meplat & reduced frontal cross section that cycles like grease lightning in my Rossi M92/454.
The WC & SWC style bullets with too "square" a meplat sometimes have a tendency to hang up in 92 actions.
A smooth curved meplat is needed to properly feed the cartridge into the chamber without hanging up or shaving lead.
The MV should be around 1950 fps from my 20" M92/454.
I chrony the load during the range test if the weather ever improves around here.
335 grains is a nice sized chunk of lead coming from a handgun cartridge.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

I've found with my particular 92 it will feed anything longer 1.500 however I've never tried to find the longest as I rarely load over 1.600. Oh and anything below 1.500 simply turns up vertically hence won't load..
Joe
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I have an MP Mold that casts a 270gr .44 magnum SWC which is a rather long nose and my R92 shuffles them into the chamber just fine. I've never had to do a thing to that rifle to get it any better than it came out from the box.
massmanute
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by massmanute »

I have shot the Buffalo Bore .357 magnum, 180 grain. It worked fine. However, despite comments about .357 from a carbine being low recoil, I found that in a light gun like a model 92 the recoil was not particularly mild. (But then again, I am somewhat of a recoil wimp.) After shooting a box of so my shoulder gets sore.

I used it on a pig hunt... one shot kill. The pig didn't go anywhere and died nearly instantly. Nearly the same goes for the one my son shot on the same trip... one shot and the pig went down on the spot and wasn't going anywhere. It would have died very soon afterward without any other measures, but we did finish it off with a .22 caliber head shot to relieve its suffering.

I'm a believer in this round for hunting, but the high cost and recoil mean it isn't a good round for plinking and target shooting, at least not for me.