Hornady Ammo Primers?

Off the shelf ammo for all Rossi firearms.
357cyrus

Hornady Ammo Primers?

Post by 357cyrus »

Has anybody else had store bought Hornady ammo that had different primers in the same box...or pierced primers? When i bought my Super Redhawk in 480 Ruger, it was second hand, with two boxes of hornady ammo. The guy claimed all the rounds were factory made, and they appeared to be so other than a couple of them had silver colored primers instead of gold colored like the rest. Last month a found another guy selling a few boxes of 480 ammo of different ages (boxes were all different styles but all hornady) a few of these also had silver primers unlike the rest. I figured at one time Hornady had switched from silver to gold colored, and I just had a few stragglers left from a different box. Didn't think anything of it until I was sorting the brass shot from my 92 from the brass shot in my SRH and noticed what appears to be my first pierced primer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hornady Ammo Primers?

Post by Ranch Dog »

Hornady is very easy to work with and they do not mind talking to customers. Why don't you call them and ask them about this issue. I wouldn't like different primers in any given lot of ammo, factory or handloads.
Michael
357cyrus

Post by 357cyrus »

I've had good luck with them in the past. I waited in line on the phone today for 15 minutes before finally giving up. I still had 3 callers ahead of me! They are busy busy, just like everybody else. By the way...I'm still scouring the internet and all the gun stores I frequent, but haven't found a set of six cavity handles for that 480 mold yet!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

357cyrus wrote:I've had good luck with them in the past. I waited in line on the phone today for 15 minutes before finally giving up. I still had 3 callers ahead of me! They are busy busy, just like everybody else. By the way...I'm still scouring the internet and all the gun stores I frequent, but haven't found a set of six cavity handles for that 480 mold yet!
Yeah, people have just gone nuts! If they see it on a shelf and the item is related to casting, reloading, or shooting, they buy it. I spoke to Lee last week and they are operating 6 days a week, hitting it hard, and they don't know when they will catch up. If you want, I will send you a set of my handles? You can send them back whenever you finally are able to buy them.
Michael
357cyrus

Post by 357cyrus »

I appreciate the offer. If I don't find one by summer I might take you up on that. Just glad I stocked up on ammo, powder, and primers before the last election! Moses built the ark before the rain started!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
357cyrus wrote:I've had good luck with them in the past. I waited in line on the phone today for 15 minutes before finally giving up. I still had 3 callers ahead of me! They are busy busy, just like everybody else. By the way...I'm still scouring the internet and all the gun stores I frequent, but haven't found a set of six cavity handles for that 480 mold yet!
Yeah, people have just gone nuts! If they see it on a shelf and the item is related to casting, reloading, or shooting, they buy it. I spoke to Lee last week and they are operating 6 days a week, hitting it hard, and they don't know when they will catch up. If you want, I will send you a set of my handles? You can send them back whenever you finally are able to buy them.
The gun/gun accessory manufacturers & resellers must be just loving Feinstein & Obama.............the Democrat scare mongering has turned them into "money makin fools" like the Johnny Paycheck song says. :mrgreen:
Shelf retention time for anything related to shooting is in minutes & hours NOT days & weeks like before the commie Feinstein started openly threatening American civil rights (2nd Amendment).
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:Hornady is very easy to work with and they do not mind talking to customers. Why don't you call them and ask them about this issue. I wouldn't like different primers in any given lot of ammo, factory or handloads.
Sometimes the ammo manufacturers change the recipes for their factory loaded ammo.
As long as the ammo puts the bullet in the same place @ the same velocity @ the same distance I don't care.
Most of the factory ammo used in my 92s gets used for hunting billboard sized game animals & 1/2" here or there doesn't matter.
If fine grouping @ longer distances is the governing criterion I've got bolt guns much better suited for that.
My 92s are "short to middlin" distance huntin guns........I never lose sight of that basic concept.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
FlyAK

Post by FlyAK »

Yes, the 454 250 gr XTP mags had both Hornady brass and Winchester brass in the same box. I immediately called, and Hornady says that the brass is to their standards. Availability and high demand was why it happened. Also, in my Hornady .357 mag Critical Defense boxes, and the 9mm boxes too, some of the primers are intermittently noticeably not the same. Not too worried about Hornady though, considering their high standards, and all the recent high demand issues all manufactures are probably contending with at this time. It has all gone "bang", and accuracy is as expected.