Hornady 325 FTX LEVERevolution & 45-70

Off the shelf ammo for all Rossi firearms.
scrapman

Hornady 325 FTX LEVERevolution & 45-70

Post by scrapman »

hunted last year in ohio with the 300 grain winchester hollow point loads in my rg, results were far from spectacular. killed the 2 deer i shot at but very little internal damage, resulting in prolonged death. shots were broadside between 45 and 65 yards. shots were placed behind shoulder 1/3 the way up. this season i used the hornady rounds in 325 grain. opening day at 73 yards i shot a very large bodied buck in same location and he went straight down with the shot, not even a twitch. nice entry hole and fist sized exit hole. upon field dressing the deer diaphram was intact and the lungs and heart were jelly. on thursday, i was able to fill my antlerless tags on two much closer shots and the results were the same. this round takes a lot of flack it seems about bullet integrity, but for deer hunting i find it amazing.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Hornady 325 FTX LEVERevolution & 45-70

Post by akuser47 »

Good to hear you found a round that puts them down humanly.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks for the report. I wonder what the problem with the Winchester bullet is. It has been around a long time. Sounds like it is not expanding, just punching a hole through them.
Win_X4570H.jpg
Go to a place like MidwayUSA where there are a lot of reviews and it is very positive in regards to hunters stating that the kills are immediate. I've used it and the Federal as proof ammo for pressure trace testing, both shot very well but I haven't used it on any game. I steered away from buying the Hornady for the pressure trace role as the Hornady brass isn't suitable for reloading with other than the FTX bullet, its well below the SAAMI minimum trim length.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
scrapman

Re: 45-70 le 325 grain

Post by scrapman »

definitely what they did. the felt recoil of that winchester round was so light it made me think the lot i had was way underpowered. saved the brass from that lot for reloading just in case. 100% correct about the hornady brass, much shorter. going to gun show today, my wife says i have enough guns, i say no!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Just curious, how cold was it in Ohio when you shot those deer? I'm wondering if the W748 used in the ammo had a problem and didn't deliver the intended velocity. Your comments about the felt recoil caused me to consider this. It is good to see someone out in the field with a Rio Grande!
Michael
scrapman

Post by scrapman »

around 35 degrees, but even target shooting with those rounds, the difference was amazing. the reason i used them last year i was shooting iron sights and the winchesters hit to point of aim at lowest setting and very accurate. the hornady round was 7 inches high. this summer i put a nikon 2-7 on the rio grande and sighted in for the ftx round.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

scrapman wrote:around 35 degrees, but even target shooting with those rounds, the difference was amazing. the reason i used them last year i was shooting iron sights and the winchesters hit to point of aim at lowest setting and very accurate. the hornady round was 7 inches high. this summer i put a nikon 2-7 on the rio grande and sighted in for the ftx round.
Thanks for the reply. When I was looking at the ammo on MidwayUSA, the Hornady was less than the Winchester so that is a win as well.
Michael
scrapman

Post by scrapman »

inexpensive for the hornady, buds usually the best price.Ranch Dog, when you shoot the cast, what is your aiming point? do you need to break the shoulders? i have the double tap 405 grain load but have never used a cast bullet. thanks
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

scrapman wrote:inexpensive for the hornady, buds usually the best price.Ranch Dog, when you shoot the cast, what is your aiming point? do you need to break the shoulders? i have the double tap 405 grain load but have never used a cast bullet. thanks
I try to put the bullet across the top of the heart no matter the angle. You will cut the bottom of both lungs as well. I depend on bullet meplat, the flat point to do its work, I typically see a 1" hole all the way through the animal.
Michael
scrapman

Post by scrapman »

thanks so much, the meplat seems to be ..330 on the double tap. hoping to secure a hog area here in jacksonville and fill my freezer with some pork.