factory/custom .30-30 ammo Q&A...

Off the shelf ammo for all Rossi firearms.
alphalimafoxtrot

factory/custom .30-30 ammo Q&A...

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

Team Rossi,
I've got a hankering for another lever gun - my second - in a rifle caliber. My first Rossi and first lever gun is a 92 in .38/.357. I'm currently setting my sights on a .30-30 RG, older pre-button Marlin 336, or a sears/Ted Williams/etc. Winchester 94 clone.

I'm looking at the different factory/custom ammo manufacturer loadings that are offered, and was pleasantly surprised to find Buffalo Bore's .30-30 Winchester "heavy load" as a nice bump up option.
https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l ... tail&p=222

I am asking you all if there are other good vendors online that also sell stronger loads for the .30-30, either in a bigger bullet/higher velocity/or both.

Thanks!
Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: factory/custom .30-30 ammo Q&A...

Post by Ranch Dog »

Wow! At $3.25 a round, it ought to do more than just come out of the barrel! The 190 grain Flat Points are available directly from Hawk for $37.50/50. At 75¢ it would make it worth your while to reload.

I don't know of any other sources for something like the BB ammo.
Michael
alphalimafoxtrot

Ranch Dog wrote:Wow! At $3.25 a round, it ought to do more than just come out of the barrel! The 190 grain Flat Points are available directly from Hawk for $37.50/50. At 75¢ it would make it worth your while to reload.

I don't know of any other sources for something like the BB ammo.
Michael, don't worry - reloading is my next hobby focus in the gun world. Instead of buying more guns (at least for now) I am directing my funds towards a "mini" reloading bench/setup.

What I'm excited about as I dip into the roll-your-own ammo arena is the ability to take in what loads have been proven, and duplicate/tailor them to my own purposes.

I know it sounds pretty obvious, but for someone limited by space/location it has been (and continues to be) my biggest hurdle keeping me from beginning to reload.

The other push for my reloading is because of need - I am shooting "orphan" rounds like the .30 Remington/.32 Remington and hard-to-find rounds like .35 Remington in something other than Leverevolution.

.38 and .357 too - these are where I want to begin.

Thanks for your time!
Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

With limited space or changing locations there is nothing wrong with the Lee Loaders, the all in one kits. The 30-30 Win kit will serve the 30 Rem and there was a kit for the 32 Rem which can still be found if you are willing to watch eBay.

These kits also make a lot of sense for low volume reloaders that want something that isn't offered through factory ammunition or its expense to pursue like the BB stuff. I have a friend that helps me on the ranch and hunts here that wanted heavy bullet ammo, 180 or 200 grain, for his 308 Win. This type of ammo is not available locally. I gave him a 308 Lee Loader with the components he need to get started for Christmas a few years back. He shoots about 20 rounds a year and is happy as a clam.
Michael
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I am hitting the thank button for RD's post above mine here.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
alphalimafoxtrot

Ranch Dog wrote:With limited space or changing locations there is nothing wrong with the Lee Loaders, the all in one kits. The 30-30 Win kit will serve the 30 Rem and there was a kit for the 32 Rem which can still be found if you are willing to watch eBay.
Michael, I meant to reply to your comment the other day but got sidetracked.

With your feedback to my OP here, your mention of the all-in-one kits reminded me to carry this newbie thread of mine over to your Lee Loader forum - so I will see you over there, guys!

Thanks for the ideas!

Adam
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Sounds good.
Michael
alphalimafoxtrot

Just to wrap up this thread, I did indeed take this conversation over to Michael's Lee Loader Forum. I was able to get a great deal of helpful responses.

Thanks, gun friends! I do appreciate your shared knowledge and experience with this fantastic hobby. I am always proud to be an American, even in these tough times; we (Americans) have such an incredible pioneer story and that includes our sidearms - as it should!

Wow, listen to me. I usually try not to sound like I am speaking from a soapbox.....LOL

Adam
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Just one comment with regard to the .30-30 in most standard lever actions.
My opinion is that hot loading it will significantly reduce case life at best.
At worst it may also be hard on the action.
I find what works best for me is: Full length resizing. Avoiding compressed loads. Backing off just slightly from maximum book loads. Careful trimming and crimping. It is not a hard round to reload but it does require attention to what you are doing.

In short it isn't nor should it be treated like a magnum. It is a lightweight gun best suited for short ranges like those found in most woodlands where the sight distance is broken up pretty well.