Brand new Model 92

Off the shelf ammo for all Rossi firearms.
Bsabantam125

Brand new Model 92

Post by Bsabantam125 »

Hello all, can anyone help with my new lever gun? It's a model 92 in .357 Magnum. I really liked a friend's 92 so I bought one only to experience a persistent failure to feed issue. I'm using Fiocchi 158gr. Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated as I don't want to give up on this otherwise great little rifle.
Thank you.
GasGuzzler

Re: Brand new Model 92

Post by GasGuzzler »

Lots of topics here with fixes ranging from ammo, to clean and cycle repeatedly, to internal adjustments.

Pour a cup of coffee and settle in for some reading.

Oh, welcome.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by zippy »

Howdy from South Carolina, and welcome to the forum.

First, cycle the action a couple of thousand times, with your finger holding back the trigger so it rides the bolt.

Then, load it and cycle the action like your angry with it. Don't take it off your shoulder to look at the inside of the receiver. Shoot, push the lever HARD all the way to the bottom, and pull it HARD all the way up. DON'T WATCH IT LOAD!

My .357 92 was temperamental in the beginning. It cycled much easier with ammo that had a smooth crimp at the case mouth. Open some .38/.357 ammo boxes at the store and feel the edge of the brass (not Aluminum or Steel) case. Don't get ammo with a sharp lip, or ledge, at the case mouth.

You don't say which bullet type your using (JHP, FMJ, JSP, etc...), but a quick search of images for that ammo brand shows that some of them have very pronounced case edges.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I'll add to zippy's note above.

1st clean the gun and lubricate it with good lube.

2nd cycle it several hundred times, clean and lube it again and repeat until you hit 1000 cycles.

3rd clean and lube it again and THEN go out and try it again while working the lever quickly and with authority.