First Rossi/Ammo for VA Whitetail?

Off the shelf ammo for all Rossi firearms.
RickinVA

First Rossi/Ammo for VA Whitetail?

Post by RickinVA »

Hello from the Shenandoah Valley in northern Virginia, and thanks for this site and all who contribute. It is an invaluable resource for the less expereinced like myself. I have been thinking about an R92 in .357 for some time and finally placed an order this week (blue, 20"). I know there can be some feeding issues among others, but I am really excited and can't wait to get it.

Questions:

Anything I should do to the rifle before firing it? I'm handy, but not experienced working on guns or metal in general. I have read and plan to follow some of the recommendations in the Gunsmithing section.

This will mostly be a fun gun, but I do plan to hunt VA whitetails with it. They are on the small side, and from the research I've done the .357 should be more than adequate if I do my part. Suggestions on loads/ammo? I do not reload.

Thanks.
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: First Rossi/Ammo for VA Whitetail?

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I'll let others talk about what to do with a new Rossi as mine had no issues out of the box that working the action couldn't cure.

Factory ammo for deer? I'd go with most any 158gr jacketed bullets. When I first got mine in 99, I went through several boxes of PMC as it was cheap and I was trying to build up my brass supply for reloading. But it was good, accurate and hard hitting ammo.

But what worked best for me was the 145gr Winchester SIlvertip JHPs. They have a pretty tough jacket so they hold up well on deer and darn those things were accurate. Pretty pricey stuff though.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

the best thing you can do when you first get it is go to an auto parts store buy some nonchlorinated brake cleaner to spray the action down the barrel and mag tube. for starters remove the rear stock this is easy take the mag spring and follower out. have a bucket or spray it outside spray the inside of the action until no black an gunk comes out work the action a few times while doing this then spray it into the barrel and mag tube then get your cleaning rod or bore snake and oil and lube the gun up. The break cleaner dries fast and then you can lube up with all the gunk out of the gun do run a patch in you mag tube and barrel and be sure to oil up your actions friction points to help break her in better.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Sorry to sound didactic like Mom when she told you to eat all your vegetables umpteen dozen years ago. :D
For subsequent cleanings each year the pull (the butt stock) & spray methodology is fine.
The pull & spray method does nothing to smooth burrs and spot/fix defects.
When you first buy the gun whether new or used I'd advise doing a full strip and thoroughly clean, inspect and deburr each part.
The daunting task of stripping a 92 scares some away but it gets a lot easier with repetition and gives you an intimate knowledge of how your gun works that you can't get any other way and eliminates the guess work in troubleshooting.
I've stripped so many 92s that when something goes wrong I can narrow the problem down 99% of the time before I get the gun in the padded vise and the tool box opened because I know each & every part, where it is, and what it does.
Your gun your call but when I buy a Rossi I do the full strip, scrub, inspect, deburr/fix, lubricate job.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
RickinVA

Post by RickinVA »

Thank you all. I appreciate the advice, and look forward to getting to know my 92.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

RickinVA wrote:Thank you all. I appreciate the advice, and look forward to getting to know my 92.
The difference will be like night & day.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA