357-magnum-158-grain-fmj-tulammo-

Off the shelf ammo for all Rossi firearms.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

357-magnum-158-grain-fmj-tulammo-

Post by golfish »

I'm not a reloader (yet) so I thought I would ask about this ammo. I have shot Tula .223/5.56 and have been very happy with it through my semi home built AR's. I wonder about the .357 ammo, does anybody have any experience with it?

RD, please move this if its not in the right forum..

~fish
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: 357-magnum-158-grain-fmj-tulammo-

Post by akuser47 »

I shoot lots of Russian ammo in my ak's and my ar15's and .40 calibers and 9mm. The only issue I can really complain about is that it is dirty and a fouling ammunition. The performance is a tad under American ammunition accuracy from my experience but money saved compared in some cases it equals out. Keep us posted if you find out anything positive or negative as the tide changes every year.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Maximumbob54 »

If you are planning on becoming a reloader then whatever you buy make sure it comes with good reloadable brass. I've not seen Tula that wasn't steel case but haven't shot that particular one.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I have shot a little Tula and a bit more steel case ammo but I am avoiding the stuff if I've got ANY choice in the matter.
Just like I don't shoot reloads other than my own (And maybe Black Hills or Atlanta Ammo)
I have come to dislike Tula through actually shooting it.
Most of it as AK mentions is dirty nasty fouling stuff that isn't up to most western ammo for accuracy standards.
Likewise IMO the quality and consistency of the loads is questionable.
Having had that light report with a bullet that hit the target at about the same speed as I could have thrown it by hand with the case failing to eject and powder granules falling out of the end of the 3" barrel while I was clearing the action I simply do not trust the stuff.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

+1

I really don't like the expression but when it come to eastern European ammo including western formally USSR it is what it is.

The only Tula I've shot has all been non-Rossi guns, AR15, 1911, SKS and M44. If I find it cheap I'll buy it to make noise and punch paper for fun. My AR has a 1 in 7 barrel and 55 grain ammo is marginal and Tula 55gr was worse than marginal and the cleanup was labor intensive. In the 1911's out of a Ransom rest it was dead last to everything else commercial and reloads. I like it for the SKS because I don't have to chase cases. I don't reload steel and I'm not sure I'll bother with their brass.

From that part of the world I'll use Privi Partizan's re-loadable stuff except for the 45-70. The 7.62x54R and the .243 has been fine and reasonable accurate with the M44's mil-spec sights .

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image