buffalo bore 357 158grn hot loads

Off the shelf ammo for all Rossi firearms.
jammied

buffalo bore 357 158grn hot loads

Post by jammied »

I purchased 3 boxes of the buffalo bore hot load 158grn jhp ammo. Had my chrony set up and they clock at 2000 fps out of my 24" barrel.

I shot about 10 through the gun the last round fired pierced a primer pocket!! After more examination the other fired rounds had pushed and cratered primers no powder flow on them just heavily cratered. Anyone else used these in their 357? I'm gonna shoot them a email and see what they have to say
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: buffalo bore 357 158grn hot loads

Post by akuser47 »

Can you post a side ways pic of cases and a pic of the bottoms. I'm curious if there is overpressure signs on your cases. please keep us posted to what the company response is as well. +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
Could possibly your firing pin be rather pointy or extending past the bolt face a few thousanths to far ?
Those are two of the simple possibilities to consider when gettinhg into "high performance" conditions. If everything is not perfect expect conditions to get out of control. That is the benefit of having a solid design like Mr. Browning's 1892. I would do soem serious investigating before I shot any more of those Buff Bangers.
That is the benefit of working up home brewed ammo. It has been years since I bought ammo. Still have boxes of the stuff sitting in ammo cans. But as reloads near that "high pressure" thresh hold indicators surface warning of possible failures.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
jammied

Post by jammied »

Yeah I put them away until farther investigation. I reload and shoot thousands of rounds a year in my bolt guns and always check the brass on new loads and periodically during shooting. for some reason I skipped that step with the buffalo bore ammo. None of the other factory loads I shot through it had any pressure signs.

Not sure how to post pics but instead of a indent on the primers where the firing pin hits the fired rounds are sticking out in the shape of the firing pin. no other pressure signs that I can see. The cases don't have any bulging and the case heads don't have any shiny marks or ejector marks.

Figured I would shoot factory loads until the powder and primers arrived for reloading. and to gather brass