Factory Ammo for Rossi 92 357

Off the shelf ammo for all Rossi firearms.
Antero

Factory Ammo for Rossi 92 357

Post by Antero »

I am placing an order for a Rossi 92 16" in stainless steel. My intent for this rifle is plinking and possible home defense. My plan is for a single round, for target and defense, seeing as it would not be my first choice for home defense. I know I would prefer a FMJ, probably flat nose, nothing in all-lead.

I don't reload, I have no intention of ever reloading, so I'm looking for good factory rounds for this rifle. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Factory Ammo for Rossi 92 357

Post by Archer »

You may find it moving up on your self defense list.

I'd probably be looking at a 125 or 158 grain bullet with an exposed lead tip for your stated purposes.

It may also depend on what your plinking targets are.
Some ranges disallow FMJ on steel targets. The exposed lead should be ok unless they ban jacketed or exposed lead either altogether. I don't like shooting cast lead at steel as it shatters and comes back not exactly AT the shooter but around him at the rest of the firing line.

For plinking I also tend to like a plated bullet from Rainer, Berry's or Xtreme. These tend to deform on steel but stay together and are less likely to be reflected back toward the shooter. I like either a Truncated Cone profile or a Flat Point Round Nosed by choice. I'm not sure if there's a commercially loaded version of those on the market however. Gold Dot hollow points probably are pretty close but are very expensive by comparison.

IF you are set on FMJ pretty much any of the available rounds should work.
IME the past 8 years or so however finding a specific .357 or .38 round on the shelves or even mail/internet order is a slim bet at best. You may find you are taking what you can get for a while yet.
This has been especially true in California.
jammied

Post by jammied »

I recently bought a few boxes of the cci blazer 357 158 gr and they shoot pretty acurrate out of my r92 havnt had a chance to chrony them yet I think they are on the slow side though. And they were fairly cheap and non reloadable aluminum cases
Strawdawg

Post by Strawdawg »

I have had good luck with the Winchester white box cheap stuff
Steve

East of Eden on Tasajillo Hill
ryjo

Post by ryjo »

When I first got my 92, I had about 6 different boxes of factory 357 mag ammo. I cycled them all to see which ones worked best. A few worked better than others but eventually they all worked well (had to work some kinks out). It may be a good idea to buy a few boxes of different brands/types (if you can find them in CA.) and see what the gun likes first. These guns can be picky so that may be a determining factor in your ammo choice. I reload and use almost exclusively plated bullets (xtreme and berry's) and they've worked well once I got the kinks worked out.
jammied wrote:I recently bought a few boxes of the cci blazer 357 158 gr and they shoot pretty acurrate out of my r92 havnt had a chance to chrony them yet I think they are on the slow side though. And they were fairly cheap and non reloadable aluminum cases
I've shot a box of this out of my revolver and it worked well but like Jammied said, it's known to be on the mild side. It seems to fit all your criteria though. Cheap, accurate and a good bargain for those who don't reload and it can double as a home defense round (the bullet is a semi jacketed hollow point). Worth a look.
Warhawk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Warhawk »

I have that exact rifle. It shoots extremely well with the American Eagle 158 JSP.
jdl447

Post by jdl447 »

Warhawk wrote:I have that exact rifle. It shoots extremely well with the American Eagle 158 JSP.
Anyone run this ammo through a Chrono ? I was thinking of using it for deer gun season here in Ohio this year. I have the .357 round barrel 20"
R92.Thanks for any input.
Deleted User 2964

Post by Deleted User 2964 »

1800fps from a 20".
ethang

Post by ethang »

Warhawk wrote:I have that exact rifle. It shoots extremely well with the American Eagle 158 JSP.
Ditto. Not American Eagle but the Federal brown box from Walmart. I think underneath they are both the same. Shoots very well and hits hard. I have not found 357 ammo anywhere that is less expensive.
Plastic has no soul...
Psegnatelli

Post by Psegnatelli »

There is a guy on YouTube called The Chopping Block and did some gel tests with the AE/Federal 158gr jsp. Did fairly well.

When i get my rifle im going to try it.

Im looking for similar things as the OP.