HSM "Bear Load" in .44 Magnum

Off the shelf ammo for all Rossi firearms.
boomer49

HSM "Bear Load" in .44 Magnum

Post by boomer49 »

Hi guys,

I was wondering if any of the members have any experience with this cartridge in their Rossi 92 actions. I'm sure that the action is strong enough, but am concerned that the length of the cartridge (which I haven't been able to determine, but with a 305 gr hard-cast bullet is likely longer than "regular" .44 Magnum) could be an issue with feeding. The WFN (Wide Flat Nose) bullet might also cause feeding problems.

The HSM ammunition (from Montana) is readily available here in Alberta.

Thanks!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: HSM "Bear Load" in .44 Magnum

Post by akuser47 »

I've shot HSM in 357 no problems. Never shot it 44 mag though. I wouldn't hesitate to sight in with it for big game in 44 mag.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
boomer49

Re: HSM "Bear Load" in .44 Magnum

Post by boomer49 »

Hey AKuser47,

Thanks for responding. That's encouraging news.

I've already sent polite/enquiring non-urgent emails (weekend emails, which really should be ignored by one-and-all in the business community until at least Monday or Tuesday) to HSM and Steve in Texas ...

I shall keep y'all posted.

Ron
boomer49

Re: HSM "Bear Load" in .44 Magnum Rossi

Post by boomer49 »

A few minutes ago I sent an email (see below) to Steve Young at Steve's Guns down in Texas. A few days ago he had responded to a related email question with a thorough and detailed 325 word reply ... explaining the design and engineering issues and ending with a "luck-a-the-draw" answer to my question ... "Some do, and some don't."

:)

Hi Steve,

Just a quick note to tell you that I “lucked-out” with those longish 305 gr WFN hard cast lead .44 Magnum cartridges from Hunting Shack Munitions in my Ranch Hand.

I bought them in Calgary yesterday afternoon but, fearing that I’d be disappointed, I didn’t try them until a few minutes ago. And … hooray … they cycled flawlessly.

I think that I mentioned to you that I’d had to return the firearm to the Canadian distributor/importer (Wanstall’s, in Mission, B.C.) in the summer of 2011 as soon as I’d received it. It had major feeding problems and they were going to fix it under warranty. Knowing that their go-to gunsmith was going to have the gun in pieces anyways, I sent along your tune-up kit and video … and asked that they have-at-‘er … and bill me accordingly.

The gun has worked flawlessly since that time, and they graciously declined to bill me for the kit installation. I suspect that their skilled massaging (with your Texas engineering) was responsible for today’s good news.

Thanks again.

R.