HPR Ammo?

Off the shelf ammo for all Rossi firearms.
Rad

HPR Ammo?

Post by Rad »

Anyone try the HPR ammo in their lever gun? I'm looking at HPR Hyper Clean 45 Long Colt 250-grn TMJ -- it's flat nosed. Any input would be appreciated.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: HPR Ammo?

Post by Archer »

I've seen it on the shelf in .45 ACP otherwise I have zero experience with it.
Rad

Post by Rad »

Thanks Archer -- just curious on how it feeds in the lever gun -- surely someone out there has used it.
boomer49

Post by boomer49 »

Hi Rad,

I'm wondering exactly the same thing myself. Actually, I discovered this fine little website while I was researching the company's 305 gr. .44 Magnum WFN "Bear Load" cartridges. I am not concerned about the strength of my Ranch Hand's action, but I am worried that the cartridge's overall length (very likely a bit longer than a "regular" .44 Magnum) and the shape of the WFN (Wide Flat Nose) slug will cause feeding issues. I've seen a photo of the bullet, and it looks just like Archer's avatar!

EDIT: Ooops! I did not look closely enough, and thought that you were asking about HSM ammo. Sorry!
Last edited by boomer49 on 18 Nov 2014 17:29, edited 1 time in total.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Just about everything produced for the 44 Mag is a made with the revolver in consideration. That would limit any design to the SAAMI cartridge overall length of 1.61". Oh, Archer's avatar is really his "rating" for his post count and that is my TLC432-275-RF 44 Mag bullet!
Michael
boomer49

Post by boomer49 »

A day or two ago a fellow on CGN contacted HSM about the length of the cartridge and was told it was 1.635.

Anyways, I am picking-up a box in Calgary on Thursday afternoon and will let y'all know the final verdict on Thursday evening. Stay tooned. :)
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

+corn
Michael
boomer49

Post by boomer49 »

A few minutes ago I sent an email to Steve Young at Steve's Guns down in Texas. A few days ago he had responded to my related email query with a thorough and detailed 325 word reply ... explaining the design and engineering issues and ending with a "luck-a-the-draw" answer to my question ... "Some do, and some don't."

:)

Hi Steve,

Just a quick note to tell you that I “lucked-out” with those longish 305 gr WFN hard cast lead .44 Magnum cartridges from Hunting Shack Munitions in my Ranch Hand.

I bought them in Calgary yesterday afternoon but, fearing that I’d be disappointed, I didn’t try them until a few minutes ago. And … hooray … they cycled flawlessly.

I think that I mentioned to you that I’d had to return the firearm to the Canadian distributor/importer (Wanstall’s, in Mission, B.C.) in the summer of 2011 as soon as I’d received it. It had major feeding problems and they were going to fix it under warranty. Knowing that their go-to gunsmith was going to have the gun in pieces anyways, I sent along your tune-up kit and video … and asked that they have-at-‘er … and bill me accordingly.

The gun has worked flawlessly since that time, and they graciously declined to bill me for the kit installation. I suspect that their skilled massaging (with your Texas engineering) was responsible for today’s good news.

Thanks again.

Ron
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Good deal, thanks for the report!
Michael
lovemytrapper

Post by lovemytrapper »

I've shot a box thru my trapper and 41/2 inch Pietta SAA. It is pretty good standard pressure ammo but expensive!