Hornady 325 gr FTX 45-70

Off the shelf ammo for all Rossi firearms.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Hornady 325 gr FTX 45-70

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Actually sort of an old new topic. One of the guys in the old thread had mentioned that these aren't your average trap door load and that could prove "quite sassy" in a light rifle.

I can vouch for that. I ran 8 of em through my Wizard on Friday - decidedly stiff :lol: . Still need to sort the sights out as it's low and right at 50 yards and silly me with a new rifle left the tool kit home :oops: .

Depending on a number of factors mostly time to develop my own loads I may use this one for deer this fall. First season for rifles in Ohio (straight wall cases only and they left the 40-65 Win off the list)

Later,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Hornady 325 gr FTX 45-70

Post by mr surveyor »

O3W

I don't do 45/70, but generally speaking, wouldn't "low to the right", particularly the "low" part of the equation be more due to lighter/faster bullet exiting the barrel a bit faster during the normal muzzle rise? And the "right" part due to a different stabilization of the lighter bullet?

Heck, you know more about it than I do, I just like to see/hear the answers. :D

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Possible, I guess. Well see what happens with the 405 cast bullets I've got loaded. Have to sort out a day to spend at the range with the Wizard, the Sharps and the 92 and hopefully a working chronograph.

Later,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:Possible, I guess. Well see what happens with the 405 cast bullets I've got loaded. Have to sort out a day to spend at the range with the Wizard, the Sharps and the 92 and hopefully a working chronograph.

Later,

well, hurry up and do it .... I ain't getting any younger (or smarter) :lol:

I am looking forward to what you find with the 405's at the upper velocity loadings.

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

The "low" part of the description is typical at closer distances. There is no hard and fast rule but that has been the case with my Marlin 45-70. Out to 100 yards the LE factory rounds print lower than my mid-range (1500fps) handloads. This was explained to me years ago by someone who should know and has proven to be the case. Some really light recoiling and slow factory ammo like the Rem 405SJSP does the same thing but only out to 50 yards. After that distance the bullet drop and lower recoil effects put the Rem 405 lower than the Hornady if the sights are left alone.

Just goes to show you have to know what your rifle and ammo do at whatever distances you intend to shoot them.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver