Dummy Cartridge Source

Off the shelf ammo for all Rossi firearms.
craiginct

Dummy Cartridge Source

Post by craiginct »

Thanks again.

I poked around a bit and didn't see a forum specifically dealing with this topic, so I'm offering this as a "share as you will" topic.

I don't have a reloading setup, so I was looking for reasonably priced sets of dummy rounds to cycle my Rossi actions without firing them in the house or having live flying ammo lost under the couches. ;) I'm kidding!!

Here are the nicest dummy ammo rounds that I’ve found on the internet, next to making them up myself. And, the prices are way more reasonable than the ABS/plastic ones sold by a lot of places. http://www.dummybullet.com
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Dummy Cartridge Source

Post by akuser47 »

I reload so I can make mine but it's nice that someone has made money in this. They look to be a great option for those in need. I forgot about this section of forum this is even better.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Like it enough to make it not only a stand alone topic but a sticky.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

+1 this will help many for sure.
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Good idea for those that do not reload. The trouble will be getting them with the EXACT bullet that you intend to use, since the lever guns are sorta picky about this, and there are SO many options to choose from out there.

I made these for when I'm putting the bolt back in and would like a long loaded round to make it easier. These are a long as would eject. FYI, none of my 4 bolts went back the same distance. And naturally I made the longest one first and copied the length for the other two. So then I could not eject them and had to pry them out from under the extractor, or take the bolt out again, and sand them shorter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Those r purty i like them.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I like to make my own dummy ammo.
The commercial snap-caps with their tough rubber primers are fine for cushioning the firing pin for dry firing the gun when practising trigger control, breathing technique & smooth follow through but they don't cycle through the mag tube and action like the real thing.
When I make a dummy on the press I put a little flour in the case instead of powder, seal with a spent primer & paint the base of the dummy cartridge red.
The dummy is identical in dimensions and weight to a real live round of the particular load I'll be fielding during the actual hunt.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

ditto what Pricedo does.

for my R92, I made up a batch of 240 gr swc and a batch of WNDY XTP dummie rounds. Before I finally tweaked the ejector, and knocked off the boogers on the sides of the lifter hinge points, I could barely cycle factory jsp's, let alone the more aggressive swc's driving band and the XTP's. I flat beat one batch of dummy brass to death hoping the ejector would just magically smooth itself after a bit of (not disassembled) hosing out with break cleaner and a lot of cycling. After reshaping the ejector and continuing to use the factory spring, every thing I run through cycles perfectly .... and I continue to work the action with the dummie rounds. I just reinsert spent primers myself and seat the exact same bullets as I intend to use. Like Pricedo, I don't see any practical use for "snap cap" or other unrealistic cartridge for testing or working with the action.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Don, those are the most attractive dummy cartridges I've even seen! You are quite the craftsman.
Michael
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Thanks RD,

I did them for the looks, and also for putting the bolts back in with a cartridge to hold the ejector in place. Since they are so long, it makes it a little easier to get it all back together. Getting the "hull" off of the rim of a brass hull, was the hardest part. I can't go more than a couple of days without using my little lathe for something.

They are so light, when you eject them, they do about 269 flips before they hit the floor!

The 2 on the left are walnut, and the right one is oak.....with a tru-oil finish of course!
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70