Saw a new Chiappa 92 today, WOW!

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
Warhawk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Saw a new Chiappa 92 today, WOW!

Post by Warhawk »

http://legacysports.com/products/puma_M92M86.html

I saw one of these beauties today. It was a Chiappa 92 clone, imported by LSI. This particular gun was a 20 inch saddle ring carbine in 45 Colt. It had gorgeous bluing on the metalwork, a color case hardened receiver and some very nice walnut. It also had an authentic looking flip up rear ladder sight.

If it had been a 44 or a 357 I may not have been able to resist. If I were to get back into the 45 Colt game, this would be the gun to do it with.

This gunshop isn't known for good prices and this gun was $869.

Some images I found online of similar guns

pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Saw a new Chiappa 92 today, WOW!

Post by pricedo »

Warhawk wrote:http://legacysports.com/products/puma_M92M86.html
I saw one of these beauties today. It was a Chiappa 92 clone, imported by LSI. This particular gun was a 20 inch saddle ring carbine in 45 Colt. It had gorgeous bluing on the metalwork, a color case hardened receiver and some very nice walnut. It also had an authentic looking flip up rear ladder sight.
If it had been a 44 or a 357 I may not have been able to resist. If I were to get back into the 45 Colt game, this would be the gun to do it with.
This gunshop isn't known for good prices and this gun was $869.
Some images I found online of similar guns
Puma is a trade name wholly owned by LSI.
Rossi used to make the Puma 92 on contract for LSI.
After Taurus got involved with the Rossi company the contract to make the Puma rifle for LSI was discontinued for whatever reason.
Now Chiappa from Italy is making the Puma rifle for LSI.
The furniture on the new Puma rifle is without a doubt superior to the Rossi version of the Puma.
There were purportedly functionality problems with the first batch of Chiappa Puma 92s though the Chiappa Mare's Leg I own (featured in a different thread on this forum) that has a Chiappa 92 action functioned perfectly right out of the box.
The Chiappa version doesn't have that ridiculous safety on the receiver.
It is also considerably more expensive than the Rossi Puma 92 was.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Warhawk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Warhawk »

Yep, I'm aware of the history of LSI and Rossi, actually Rossi has had a variety of importers for the model 92 carbines over the years. Interarms, Navy Arms, LSI, EMF, and probably others. I wish LSI had chosen a different name for the Italian made guns, but they didn't and it certainly adds to the confusion.

Anyway, yes this is more expensive than the Rossi 92, at this shop the Chiappa was $869 while a 24 inch stainless octagon 357 Rossi was $559. Putting them side by side isn't fair to the Rossi, the Chiappa is absolutely a beautiful gun.

The only Chiappa I had seen in the flesh was a Chuck Connors commemorative inside a glass case. It was a nice gun, but not as nice as the one I saw today.

I hope they have fixed the problems the early guns had by now.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Warhawk wrote:Yep, I'm aware of the history of LSI and Rossi, actually Rossi has had a variety of importers for the model 92 carbines over the years. Interarms, Navy Arms, LSI, EMF, and probably others. I wish LSI had chosen a different name for the Italian made guns, but they didn't and it certainly adds to the confusion.

Anyway, yes this is more expensive than the Rossi 92, at this shop the Chiappa was $869 while a 24 inch stainless octagon 357 Rossi was $559. Putting them side by side isn't fair to the Rossi, the Chiappa is absolutely a beautiful gun.

The only Chiappa I had seen in the flesh was a Chuck Connors commemorative inside a glass case. It was a nice gun, but not as nice as the one I saw today.

I hope they have fixed the problems the early guns had by now.
Saw a blue .44 Mag Chiappa yesterday with 24' octagonal barrel for $789.99.
It was so original looking and unadulterated with lawyer garbage it wouldn't have looked out of place in a gun shop from 1895.
Gorgeous furniture.
If I didn't already have 4 rifles & 4 handguns in that caliber I would have bought the Chiappa over any of the Rossis that had the silly safety on the next rack over.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Warhawk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Warhawk »

I will be back in this shop next week to pick up some gunsmithing work. If that Chiappa is still there I'll have a tough decision to make.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Warhawk wrote:I will be back in this shop next week to pick up some gunsmithing work. If that Chiappa is still there I'll have a tough decision to make.
Those Chiappa guns are good.
The Chiappa Mare's Leg (has a 92 action) I own is beautiful to look at and shoot and cycles any kind of ammo I put in it flawlessly.
You need to find a cheaper gun shop.
The prices seem to be about $100 or more too heavy for both the Chiappa & Rossi rifles you mentioned.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Here is a question for you fellows that know the differences in the life cycle of 92 production. Would it be appropriate to move threads like this to the R92 forum or should they be kept separate. Just asking you fellows for guidance here.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:Here is a question for you fellows that know the differences in the life cycle of 92 production. Would it be appropriate to move threads like this to the R92 forum or should they be kept separate. Just asking you fellows for guidance here.

It's a grey area.
The title of the thread denotes the Chiappa 92, a non-Rossi gun, but the gun is a 92 and comparisons are continually being made or implied in the thread posts between the Rossi & Chiappa 92s.
There is an overlap in regards to the model 92 levergun and Rossi 92s are being discussed or referred to in a peripheral way.
It's your house so you decide what shelf or drawer the thread belongs in.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:Here is a question for you fellows that know the differences in the life cycle of 92 production. Would it be appropriate to move threads like this to the R92 forum or should they be kept separate. Just asking you fellows for guidance here.

It's a grey area.
The title of the thread denotes the Chiappa 92, a non-Rossi gun, but the gun is a 92 and comparisons are continually being made or implied in the thread posts between the Rossi & Chiappa 92s.
There is an overlap in regards to the model 92 levergun and Rossi 92s are being discussed or referred to in a peripheral way.
It's your house so you decide what shelf or drawer the thread belongs in.
See what you guys think of the forum categories, hopefully I've provided enough clarification. I suspect most of the traffic here will be related to the leverguns and I would hate to loose posts such as this in a general firearms bin.
Michael
Warhawk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Warhawk »

I have been working in Arkansas this week, and in Fayetteville today. I heard about a good gun shop up here and stopped in today, Ozark Armory in Springdale. It's quite a gun shop! I finally found some lead 10 gauge shells so I can try out the 10 ga double I bought recently.

Anyway, they had all kinds of lever guns, more than I've ever seen in one place. They had a Chiappa .44, for $1200!!! Also had several Marlins, Winchesters and a bunch of Rossi 92's. They had lever guns in a cowboy section, more in the rimfire section, and still more in with the regular hunting rifles.

They have a blued 1873 clone that was priced at $649, I had to check that one out. Turned out to be one of the Chaparral guns, beautiful blue job and the wood was on par with the Chiappa I saw in Texas. But knowing the reputation of those Chaparral guns I decided to pass.

If you're ever in the area, stop by, you'll be glad you did.