A new rifle followed me home (updated with range report)

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: A new rifle followed me home (updated with range report)

Post by pricedo »

Model 52 wrote:Yes, I've been impressed with the Rossi's accuracy.

I have not had the forearm off yet.
So am I.
They do very well for a gun type that is typically a MOAPP (minute of aluminum pie plate) @ 50 yard gun.......these aren't & were never designed to be precision rifles.
They're 50- 150 yard meat fetchers.
I'll eventually replace the Rossi jungle junk balsa wood with properly fitted walnut butt stock & forearm blanks from Precision.
I'll do that before wasting an afternoon pressure relieving a balsa junk-wood factory stock.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

pricedo wrote:
Model 52 wrote:Yes, I've been impressed with the Rossi's accuracy.

I have not had the forearm off yet.
So am I.
They do very well for a gun type that is typically a MOAPP (minute of aluminum pie plate) @ 50 yard gun.......these aren't & were never designed to be precision rifles.
They're 50- 150 yard meat fetchers.
I'll eventually replace the Rossi jungle junk balsa wood with properly fitted walnut butt stock & forearm blanks from Precision.
I'll do that before wasting an afternoon pressure relieving a balsa junk-wood factory stock.
You do realize the Rossi is *not* the problem, and the accuracy issue is with the Armi Sport/Chiappa, a rifle that has a very nice walnut stock, right?

I like the precision stock sets, but they cost a bit more than I want to put into a Rossi, especially given what a coat of tru-oil will due to the Rossi stock. Besides, fit wise, I have no complaints about the Rossi wood.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

What accuracy problem?
I look at your targets and I don't see a problem considering that you are shooting a lever action brush hunting gun and not a competition bench rest rifle.
I have a Chiappa 92 & a Rossi 92 in 44 Mag and they both put 3 shots in a pie plate at 50 yards like 92s are supposed to do.
Both perform well within design parameters as short to middlin range meat getters that are used to fill freezers and not to win shooting competitions.

Well, there we go with those personal choices and preferences again.
If I'm going to spend an afternoon fitting a stock it's going to be a walnut stock or else I'll leave the factory jungle wood stock in situ on the gun and put the oil on over the Rossi shoe polish.
I've refurnished a couple of Rossi 92s in the past with Precision walnut stocks and they both sold within a week for a nice profit. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

It's a matter of comparison. My Rossi in 45 Colt will shoot 2-3" 5 shot groups at 50 yards and the Chiappa won't - it's closer to 5-6" at 100 yards.

The problem with 5-6" groups at 50 yards on a 100-150 yard game gathering rifle is obvious - at 100 yards it's shooting 10-12" groups and at 150 yards is's shooting 15-18" groups. The former is enough to be problematic on deer sized game and and at 150 yards it's a definite issue.

More to the point, a Model 92 can do better with a little attention to detail, so why not address the problem?
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

5-6" @ 50 yards is a pattern not a group.........my 870 can do better with "000" buck.
My 92s (Chiappas & Rossis) do considerably better than that or they wouldn't be taking up space around my place any more.
I'll accept 3" (preferably < 2") as the absolute max for 50 yards off sand bags.........if the levergun won't do better it's going to be appearing on a used gun rack real soon.
If 5-6" @ 50 yards is the best it'll do either move it or put a bayonet on it like one of our members has done with his.
Have you slugged the barrel & checked the muzzle crown on that Chiappa?...........that's pretty shaky shooting for sure.
Hope the barrel on that Chiappa is tighter than the one our Amish friend in the animation is using. :mrgreen:

"GAWL DURN GUN CAN'T HIT NUTHIN"
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

pricedo wrote:5-6" @ 50 yards is a pattern not a group.........my 870 can do better with "000" buck.
My 92s (Chiappas & Rossis) do considerably better than that or they wouldn't be taking up space around my place any more.
I'll accept 3" (preferably < 2") as the absolute max for 50 yards off sand bags.........if the levergun won't do better it's going to be appearing on a used gun rack real soon.
If 5-6" @ 50 yards is the best it'll do either move it or put a bayonet on it like one of our members has done with his.
Have you slugged the barrel & checked the muzzle crown on that Chiappa?...........that's pretty shaky shooting for sure.
Hope the barrel on that Chiappa is tighter than the one our Amish friend in the animation is using. :mrgreen:

"GAWL DURN GUN CAN'T HIT NUTHIN"
The crown looks fine. If some fore end work and/or .454 diameter bullets don't help I'll cerro cast the chamber. The pictures above of the A-23 targets describe the pattern pretty well.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Something is definitely wrong and that is not normal for Chiappa shooters.......the guns usually function & shoot good NIB.
Chiappa makes good guns.......I own 2 Chiappa 92s and they're fine.
A dud slips by with any brand of gun from time to time.
With blue chip guns like Chiappa & Pedersoli those times are few & far between but it does happen.

Could be a sloppy chamber but start with the simple stuff first ........check all the screws, the front/rear sights, the mag tube & the barrel bands to make sure they aren't loose.
It maybe as simple as an adjustment in load recipe ...92s of any pedigree can be very load fussy producing shotgun like patterns with one load and 5 shot "one ragged hole" groups with an only slightly different recipe.
I've witnessed it myself with a 92/44 where 1/2 grain of powder turned a spray pattern load into a tack driving load.
Sometimes it doesn't take much .....a little more or less powder, a different powder, a COAL or crimping adjustment to turn night(mare) into day.

At the end of the day I'd be really surprised if it turned out to be a defective rifle.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA