New Lever Gun

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
AhnkoChee
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: New Lever Gun

Post by AhnkoChee »

Rooster59 wrote:Has anyone seen the Big Horn Armory model 89? I saw a Gunblast article/review of it this week. The model in the article was chambered for 500 S&W.

I'm no expert on Winchesters but the receiver looked similar to an 1873 or maybe 1886? What was so unusual, and caught my eye, was the rear sight appears to be D&T'd to the top of the bolt.

Jeff
The design is based on the John Browning 1886 Winchester popular in 45/70 up to 50/110. Later on Browning designed the 1892 which was a shorter version of the 1886 for the 44/40 and similar length cartridge with modern versions chambered in 357 mag, 44 mag, and 454 Casull. The Big Horn Armory model 89 is also based on the strong Browning design of the '86 and '92 model but sized for the intermediate length 500 S&W. I thought it clever they naming it the model 89 right between the 86 and 92 numerically. Though I probably could never afford one I do not think the MSRP of $1989.00 is unreasonable considering the small scale of production and the quality of the piece. I do prefer the style of a straight grip butt stock but I'm sure the designers took recoil into consideration the pistol grip stock being more forgiving recoil wise.
I prefer this design over Marlin inspired DRC levergun in 500 S&S which retails for $2495.00: http://drcfirearmsoutdoors.businesscata ... tion-rifle

DRC

Big Horn
Illegitimus Non Carborundum