New Lever Gun

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

New Lever Gun

Post by Rooster59 »

Has anyone seen the Big Horn Armory model 89? I saw a Gunblast article/review of it this week. The model in the article was chambered for 500 S&W.

I'm no expert on Winchesters but the receiver looked similar to an 1873 or maybe 1886? What was so unusual, and caught my eye, was the rear sight appears to be D&T'd to the top of the bolt.

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Lever Gun

Post by Ranch Dog »

It was mentioned in another topic a week or so ago. Here is a picture and the pricing.

Clipboard01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

No doubt a beautiful rifle, but I would expect perfection at this price so would probably end up a bit bored with it. About a year ago pricedo and I kind of met via my questions about the Pedersoli rifles. I was interested in the '86/71 444 Marlin and he was able to answer my questions about the product line. I'm married to a great gal and I told her I was getting ready to spend $2K on a rifle. Didn't phase her a bit but she laughed and said that it would for sure end up a "safe queen" as she knew I would never take it hunting. She was right, so I bought $2K worth of Rossi's and could not be happier.

Still, no doubt a nice rifle.
Michael

Post by 0369 »

If you look at Jeff Quin's reviews on Gunblast, in one of the pictures you'll see a rear sight similat to a Williams WGRS and it's base is for a barrel. I'd think for that much money, it wouldn't look like a cheap afterthought. Hopefully it was just a case of getting a sight on the protoype for testing. It does, however give me an idea for my 92.
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

Sorry I missed the earlier post. I was afraid to look for pricing. Cottage built rifles which I assume this is, would have to be expensive.

All the photos I've seen of the BH make the rear sight appear to be one I've seen that used to come on some Remington rifles. I think Williams makes it but it a sliding elevation type that can be fitted with notch, peep, or firesight "blades". The peep version peaked my interest.

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

I was wrong about them being from Williams. They make a similar one that is longer than the WGRS base but the Big Horn would appear to be something made by Marbles.

http://www.marblearms.com/universalRearSights.html

Looks like Big Horn wasn't impressed with Marble's push button adjustment system. The sight on the 500 uses a pinch screw to hold the sliding portion in place. Not surprising with that caliber.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
If my thinker is working right there was a bolt attached peep sight available some years back for the Model 71. The pictured one looks a bit like that. Actually the whole rifle looks like a model 71 which is a bit stronger than the model 86.
Mike in ILL
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

I browsed Big Horn's website a little while ago. Their photos show various sights on the models. One photo shows an XS version mounted either on the bolt or on the receiver on either side of the bolt. Either way, I doubt that silly push button thing would hold up to the recoil. It would take a pinch style arrangement to hold the sight in place.

I had an H&R muzzleloader several years ago that had a sight on it like that but it was all plastic. Something happened to it and H&R sent me an exact replacement that was metal. I'm certain now it was that style #30 Marbles.
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Quinc »

Might make for a better combo 500SW Wheel gun and lever gun. Compared to the 45-70 wheel gun lever gun combo.
"Everyone has a plan tell they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by runfiverun »

the 71 peep come from the factory that way if so ordered,mine was a deluxe pistol grip with the peep sight.
pretty good rifle but someone had more money than i had no,so they got it and i got a browning 86 in 45/70 and some pocket money too.

the 500 S&W rifle has been out for a while and i see the price hasn't come down any.