1950 Marlin 336 A half-tube .35 Rem

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
alphalimafoxtrot

1950 Marlin 336 A half-tube .35 Rem

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

IMG_4092.jpg
Guys - happy birthday to me!

On my day-off venture to my local gun shop, I managed to walk out the door with a "needs TLC" 1950 G-dated 336 A Marlin, in .35 Remington.
Surface rust, mild to me for the work it will take to clean up, and it is not D&T'd for a scope!

Wood is original and nice, only other prob is a cracked plastic buttplate. And - the wood serial numbers match the gun!

$160!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
GasGuzzler

Re: 1950 Marlin 336 A half-tube .35 Rem

Post by GasGuzzler »

Oh man!

I want a .35R to go with my '51 .30WCF. I'm not posting what I paid for it now. Dang!

You can get a butt plate but be advised it will likely have to be narrowed to match the stock profile. I can provide instructions if needed.

I had to put a firing pin in mine. Is your bullseye still intact? Mines not drilled and tapped either.

Good find!
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Heck of a deal!
Michael
alphalimafoxtrot

Guys,

while I have a minute before I have to take the dogs out again...

1. this is a 24" barrel rifle, so I'm not sure what the ammo capacity actually is with this half-tube magazine. 4 rounds maybe?

2. the full serial is G58473, and if anyone can decode further beyond just G=1950, let me know what you know!

3. I am really looking forward to taking this beast apart over the weekend, finding a perfect firing pin ready to hammer some primers, and shoot the old girl! +guns

take care all, and thanks for your comments.
Adam Lee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Nice find keep us posted +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
alphalimafoxtrot

Why do I always intend to take "before" pics, but fail to do so? Oh bother.

So, later I will update this thread with pics of my "new" 1950 Marlin 336A. Until then, here are some things I learned while disassembling, cleaning, and reassembling this fine old gun.

1. The worst of the "frosted" surface rust was on the barrel, from the muzzle to about the front end of the forearm. Likewise, the exposed section of the magazine tube was frosted the same way.
2. All the metal was easy enough to remove with outdoors application of brake cleaner, PB Blaster, multipurpose lube (essentially WD40), and superfine steel wool. I think it was 0000 or 000 wool.
3. The front sight does have a slot for a hood, as well as a nice brass "globe" on the rear edge of the sight blade.
4. It all looked like I would have difficulty stripping everything down, as every screw appeared never to have been turned, but every screw moved without resistance. That was a big surprise to me. No threads or screw slots got buggered.
5. When I slid the bolt from the receiver, it was in fine shape. Working the rear section of the firing pin, I could see my firing pin worked properly, and was intact.
6. The only places where I noticed a serial number stamped were on the underside of the receiver, the trigger plate, and stamped into the buttstock where it meets the receiver.
7. The only broken item is the cracked plastic buttplate. I will be searching for a repo.
8. In the bottom heel of the stock, there is what seems to be a filled plug for a sling stud swivel.
9. Every spring and internal part was fine and without corrosion.
10. Reassembly was a dream!

Finally, I wanted to say that I wish my Rossi 92 could be taken apart and put back together this easily!
Have a great day, guys!

Adam Lee
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Great report, thank you! Good to hear that all is well. Are you fixin' to make any upgrades, or keep it all stock?
alphalimafoxtrot

@HarryAlonzo,

thanks for the comment. I plan on replacing the buttplate and calling it done! This one will not be modified other than replace the sling swivel stud that had been in the stock, and I will likely add a collar-style swiveling barrel stud.

Adam
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I was just reading a topic on the Marlin forum from a guy that just bought a 1950 336A in .35R.

Hmmmmm......
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
alphalimafoxtrot

GasGuzzler wrote:I was just reading a topic on the Marlin forum from a guy that just bought a 1950 336A in .35R.

Hmmmmm......
Interesting!
Wonder if you could link it here?

Adam