A few questions about the Winchester 94

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
Accadacca

A few questions about the Winchester 94

Post by Accadacca »

I have been going back and forth on getting myself a 94 for years now, and I think I'm getting close to making the decision. Originally I wanted a carbine, and in fact I had one for a short time circa 1999. I ended up giving it to a relative. Ever since getting my octagonal 24-inch Rossi 92 my preferences have shifted. So my questions are:

Are the current production 94's of the angle-eject configuration? It appears to be the case based on the photographs on Winchester's website.

Is there any practical way to modify an AE so that it does NOT eject off to the side?

I have been finding a lot of Canadian Centennial models on GunBroker for instance, and these are basically in the configuration I want although I would rather not have the maple leaf engraving. Can anyone here offer an opinion as to what a fair price would be for such a gun in very good or virtually new condition?

Any bits of wisdom you might impart would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
"... in this present crisis, government is not the solution to the problem: government IS the problem." Ronald Reagan
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: A few questions about the Winchester 94

Post by Ranch Dog »

I own both ejection versions of the M94 and feel that there would be no way to make top ejection possible on the later models. The win 94 Canadian Centennials have not been selling on GunBroker (search completed auctions), it looks like the reserve prices are unreasonable.

I found this rifle via a posted link related to Rossi 92s that were available. This is a very good looking 94, with the wood match the quality of both my Timber Scouts. Is it worth $875, probably, but it is an angle eject.

http://summitgunbroker.com/win-1894-deluxe.html
Michael
Accadacca

Post by Accadacca »

Ranch Dog wrote:I own both ejection versions of the M94 and feel that there would be no way to make top ejection possible on the later models.
That's what I figured, I guess I'll have to avoid them because I really don't want brass flying across my face.
The win 94 Canadian Centennials have not been selling on GunBroker (search completed auctions), it looks like the reserve prices are unreasonable.
Again kind of what I suspected. The sellers either are under the mistaken belief, or they think they can make buyers believe, that these are actually rare or collectible. I read a comment somewhere on some board last night, it might have been here I don't remember, that a lot of the commemorative rifles actually are inferior specimens because they were never expected to be shot very much if it all so they were just kind of slapped together. I have no idea whether that's true or to what extent.
I found this rifle via a posted link related to Rossi 92s that were available. This is a very good looking 94, with the wood match the quality of both my Timber Scouts. Is it worth $875, probably, but it is an angle eject.

http://summitgunbroker.com/win-1894-deluxe.html
I certainly a very nice looking rifle but it's not really what I'm looking for. I prefer the straight stock and never cared for the half round barrels. That is a new-to-me site though, I guess I will have to check it out.
"... in this present crisis, government is not the solution to the problem: government IS the problem." Ronald Reagan
Accadacca

Post by Accadacca »

http://summitgunbroker.com/win--1894.html
I like this one, but it's chambered in .25-35. Looks like the ammunition is both hard to find and quite expensive.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Just to clarify, you're seeking a 24 inch octagonal barrel, top ejecting, 30-30 Winchester '94 in new to newish condition? I presume the top eject requirement is because you're a Southpaw.

I'll make some inquiries. I like to shop with other people's money.
Accadacca

Post by Accadacca »

Well it's not so much that I want a newish condition one: I actually like the looks of a properly aged lever action rifle, but the vintage ones are generally a little out of my price range. The Canadian Centennials, for instance, while generally overpriced on Gunbroker, or nevertheless cheaper than most of the pre-64's I've seen. My only real requirement is that it must be mechanically sound with a good serviceable bore.

As far as the angled ejection, I guess I should say that, having never fired one, I don't really know what the trajectory of the brass is and whether it would be bothersome or not, I'm just kind of assuming so. Otherwise I wouldn't necessarily be averse to getting one of the new production guns, except they don't presently offer a full octagon barrel according to their website. They also have a tang safety, but it's my understanding that there are tang sights made to fit over the safety or not interfere with it or whichever.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I own both angle eject and top eject.
For the most part you can't tell the difference.
The angle eject does throw the brass out up and right. The older design just throws it up with a slight bias right due to the ejector being at about 7 o'clock as seen from the rear of the gun.
Although I've heard some folks complain about right handed guns in semi auto throwing brass across their faces I've seen a lot more left handers using them and saying they don't really notice it.
I have a LH bolt gun and my biggest complaint is I'm just not used to the bolt being on that side. Granted it's not throwing the brass for me but a lever gun is similar without getting mucked up with the controls for the action being in the wrong place.

The only real difference is that the angle eject does allow mounting a scope directly over the top of the gun.

As for the tang safety. I vastly prefer it to the cross bolt hammer block that Winchester went to before they adopted the tang version. I don't have it on a 94 but I have it on a 95 and a 86 and my only complaint is that if you decide to go with a tang sight it covers and inactivates the safety. I have one of the Legacy 94s with the hammer block cross bolt and it is IMO a kludge put on to satisfy the lawyers.
Accadacca

Post by Accadacca »

Yeah I never liked the cross bolt safety either. The gun I mentioned earlier that I had for a short period of time had a cross bolt safety and that's a small part of why I got rid of it, it just seemed to ruin the looks of the gun.

You guys have helped me quite a bit. I think maybe I'm going to save up a few more stamps toward one of the new guns, and perhaps they'll bring out a full octagon in the next few months. Otherwise I may go ahead and get one of those half rounded. I also like the more traditional butt plate on the new production rifles than the cheaper one on the commemorative rifles.
Accadacca

Post by Accadacca »

What is the point of a half round Barrel anyway? Extra Machining, for what reason? To accomplish what? Is there enough metal removed to affect the balance or the overall weight?
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

yes