A few questions about the Winchester 94

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: A few questions about the Winchester 94

Post by Archer »

Ok, so maybe I should expand on my previous response.

I own a Rossi 92 .44 Magnum 24" SS Octagonal and a Rossi 92 .44 Magnum 20" SS Round Barrel.
The 24" soaks up recoil better, the 20" is a joy to carry and points faster and kicks harder.
I don't recall for certain but I think the catalogued weight at the time I acquired them was about 2 lbs difference. Maybe plus or minus a half pound.

I also own a 44 Mag 24" round barreled Winchester 94 Legacy that more or less splits the difference between the Rossi .44 mags. It doesn't point quite as fast as the 20" RB, carries almost as easy and IMO due to a better shaped butt plate probably handles recoil better than either.

Octagonal barrels initially were done more because it was easier and faster to machine them that way, possibly even with a hand file than to get a nice round profile. Eventually as machining caught up and it became easier to machine a consistent round barrel without variations in wall thickness or cosmetic flaws the octagonal became purely cosmetic.

The half round barrel gives you some of the weight and cosmetics of the octagonal while removing the weight from the last half of the barrel. Since the weight is removed from the muzzle end it handles faster than the octagonal. It gives you a different look and was often a custom shop or special order option back in the days of the original Winchester 92s & 86s or early 94s. I only own one of these and since it's a .22 single shot Winchester it is over built to heck and gone but it's still fun.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

If that linked rifle was a 32 Win Spl, I would buy it, but I just don't need another 30-30 Win.
Michael
Accadacca

Post by Accadacca »

Boy I don't know, now I've been looking at examples of the new carbine Deluxe and they're just pretty doggone nice I think. Can't make up my mind. Of course the obvious solution is to get one of each, but I really can't even afford one let alone two.
"... in this present crisis, government is not the solution to the problem: government IS the problem." Ronald Reagan
Rich44-40

Post by Rich44-40 »

Look for a Winchester 94 Classic. I have one. It's just what you are looking for. I paid $400 for mine in like new condition, a year or two ago. Good luck.