opinions needed ---what to do?

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
smithd1

opinions needed ---what to do?

Post by smithd1 »

I happen to be the blessed owner of a

MARLIN 1894CSS (JM stamp) ---- new in box, unfired with all the tags still attached.

I never really paid attention and didn't know that the price had gone up on them ( I say blushing ) :oops:

so my question is....do I break this bad boy out and make it my deer/hog rifle or do I keep it new and sell it? I could buy several new rifles for the current rate on these things. but i am unlikely to ever see one of these new again let alone own it.

what would you do? and if you say sell, what would you purchase with the cash?
Round Rock, TX

USMC 0311/8551

LE since 01

"no good quote to share"
GasGuzzler

Re: opinions needed ---what to do?

Post by GasGuzzler »

Would I sell a $450 rifle for $1200?

Yes.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've never been one to sit on something, even if NIB. If I'm not shooting a firearm, even a NIB, and feel I will probably not get to it, I move it.

I've sold a number of Marlins over the last five years and made some very good money from their sale. I did not sell them because of their "current" value but for the fact that I was done with them. Honestly, I would not have bought them at today's prices.
Michael
desertrider

Post by desertrider »

I guess your decision would depend on whether or not you need the cash and if you have room to store the rifle.

As a general rule, if I don't use it, it gets sold off. I'm not one to keep safe queens.

I sold off my one and only Python about ten years ago for what I thought was a decent profit, if I had held onto it I could easily have doubled my profit by today's values.

Got any kids? A JM stamped Marlin would make one heck of a graduation present.
smithd1

Post by smithd1 »

No kids yet. But hoping one day.
Don't need the money, except to spend that much more.

I had a python years ago. I did the same thing. Seems like i regret almost every firearm i have ever sold.

If i choose to sell, the money will go towards 16" stainless rossi ' s in 357 and 454.
Round Rock, TX

USMC 0311/8551

LE since 01

"no good quote to share"
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

If you say you don't really need the money, and you've regretted almost every firearm you've ever sold, I'd say . . . Shoot it and enjoy it.
desertrider

Post by desertrider »

smithd1 wrote:No kids yet. But hoping one day.
Don't need the money, except to spend that much more.

I had a python years ago. I did the same thing. Seems like i regret almost every firearm i have ever sold.

If i choose to sell, the money will go towards 16" stainless rossi ' s in 357 and 454.
I hear ya. :D I can think of three guns I've sold that I look back and regret sometimes.
HarryAlonzo wrote:If you say you don't really need the money, and you've regretted almost every firearm you've ever sold, I'd say . . . Shoot it and enjoy it.
Sage advice right there.

I've whittled my collection down to the guns I really enjoy shooting, the last gun I sold was a Hipoint TS4595 carbine about a year ago. No plans on selling anything unless some real drastic hard times fall on me. I better shut up before I jinx myself. :lol:
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

One of the Marlin's I sold was a 444P Outfitter. I really regretted that move and ended up finding and buying one that wasn't at an inflated price.
Michael
smithd1

Post by smithd1 »

I was really eyeballing that 16" stainless 454 on GB. hot diggity it went high!
Round Rock, TX

USMC 0311/8551

LE since 01

"no good quote to share"
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I don't sell many.
I don't have many that are NIB after I've had them very long either.
I buy them to shoot them and I try to get them at prices I think I can at least get my money out of them.
Doesn't always happen when I buy a nice new one and take it right out to the range I figure I'm blowing a hundred or three right then with the first shot but I'm getting some use/value/fun out of it.