Chiappa serial# database online anywhere?

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
desertrider

Chiappa serial# database online anywhere?

Post by desertrider »

Hi folks,new member here trying to identify the date of manufacture of my new toy today.

I know I can wait until Monday to contact the company, but I figured I have some free time and the internet at my fingertips, so might as well look.

I thought I was buying a Rossi Puma, but when the seller and I met at the FFL to do the transfer I found out it was actually a Chiappa. Overall the gun looked great and the action was buttery smooth, plus it has a large loop, so I went through with the deal anyway. I just picked it up yesterday evening.

I can't fault the seller about the misrepresentation as he inherited the carbine after a relatives passing and had no knowledge of it other than what his relatives told him about it.

I'd appreciate any info, thanks.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Chiappa serial# database online anywhere?

Post by akuser47 »

Look at the date of the test round in the box it will be closest to approximate manufacture date you will find. As far as I know there is nothing like Beretta or Taurus serial number lookup online Obviously contact manufacturer to see. Like I said the test round used is dated on its envelope so it will give you month and year. I guess depending on the fact if you have the proof round.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
desertrider

Post by desertrider »

akuser47 wrote:Look at the date of the test round in the box it will be closest to approximate manufacture date you will find. As far as I know there is nothing like Beretta or Taurus serial number lookup online Obviously contact manufacturer to see. Like I said the test round used is dated on its envelope so it will give you month and year. I guess depending on the fact if you have the proof round.
Great advice, AK. Unfortunately I bought the carbine used and the guy had nothing but the gun and an old vinyl case.

He inherited the gun after the passing of one of his relatives and had no information at all on the gun, he really didn't even know it was a Chiappa.

I'll be calling Chiappa's customer service line on Monday and hoping for some info.

Thanks for your input.
desertrider

Post by desertrider »

Been real busy, but finally got around to calling Chiappa this morning.

Based on my serial number, my carbine was manufactured in either '08 or '09, and predates Chiappas presence in the USA. It was manufactured in Italy by Chiappa and imported by LSI and probably sold by a company called Taylors & Company.

The young lady I spoke with was helpful with info, but informed me that the warranty was expired (1 year only) and was not transferable beyond the original owner.

No, there is no online serial number database that she is aware of, but she was helpful in identifying my gun.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Still good that you got the information you were looking for.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!