Chiappa 1892

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
steveschu

Chiappa 1892

Post by steveschu »

I have been getting to know a Chiappa 1892 in 357 that I bought used but unfired. I learned it will not eat anything I feed it. It is damned accurate. Immaculate workmanship and another reason for the old cliche, "Make my wine French, my cars German and my guns Italian." Light, fun to shoot. 38 Specials sounded like squibs after the 357. I suggest everyone own one.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Chiappa 1892

Post by Ranch Dog »

steveschu wrote:I learned it will not eat anything I feed it.
So, do you shoot it as a single shot?
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I am curious as well hand feeding your rifle.? how is the rounds jamming up? do you have pics? what rounds/loads are jamming? I agree the Italians biuld great repros.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I hear you on the Chiappa quality.............smooth & slick right out of the box.....superb walnut furniture & w/m fit & almost double the price of a Rossi.
My Chiappa 92 is a Mare's Leg in 44 Mag with a superb leather belt holster from Cochise leather products.
This is my Canada animal defense/survival carry gun cause short-barreled rifles & shotguns are completely legal for carry there and while Canada technically has pistol carry permits on their law books the Prime Minister himself probably couldn't get one.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

steveschu wrote:I have been getting to know a Chiappa 1892 in 357 that I bought used but unfired. I learned it will not eat anything I feed it. It is damned accurate. Immaculate workmanship and another reason for the old cliche, "Make my wine French, my cars German and my guns Italian." Light, fun to shoot. 38 Specials sounded like squibs after the 357. I suggest everyone own one.
All 92s are ammo sensitive though I have yet to feed my Chiappa M/L any factory ammo it wouldn't digest.
It just loves the Hornady FTX gummy bear ammo that jams up some inferior 92s.......it fed the Winchester white box ammo with equal aplomb.

My Chiappa M/L is a takedown model and can be stowed in a brief case.

My Pedersoli 86/71 in 45-70 is also a superb rifle and neither the Chiappa nor the Pedersoli have any of the unnecessary & redundant safety junk (tang safety, rebounding hammer) that the Miroku Winchesters are encumbered with.

The Italians are very good at making guns.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
steveschu

Post by steveschu »

akuser47 wrote:I am curious as well hand feeding your rifle.? how is the rounds jamming up? do you have pics? what rounds/loads are jamming? I agree the Italians biuld great repros.

When I wrote that it would not eat anything I fed it I meant via the feed lever and not placing the bullet in the chamber single shot.

I read the online manual while awaiting delivery of this 1892 and it stated a flat-nosed bullet preference so I went to Walmart and found no flat-nosed but .357 hollowpoints. The hollow fit over the primer of a second shell so I thought they were OK to use in the feed tube. They did not feed well at all. I will shoot those one by one to get rid of them.

I bought Magtech cowboy rounds in .357 and .38 special and these worked flawlessly.
I tried Hornady Leverevolution .357 and could not insert more than ONE in the tube. If I inserted a regular flat-nosed FIRST I could then load six more of the Leverevolution type. They shot very well and consistent producing a very tight, overlapping group of 5 although it was only at a 75 foot indoor range.