1951 336RC

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
GasGuzzler

Re: 1951 336RC

Post by GasGuzzler »

Ranch Dog wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:Back to the Marlin....

Why do some of the same era 336's have a really short magazine tube?
Does anyone know for sure if my 20" 1951 .30-30 should have a shroud over the front sight?
........I will provide more info later today as I need to take care of some things this morning.
+corn +corn +guns +guns
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Finally getting to it but I did go out and get my book before I sat down this morning, so my memory is still good. The last couple of weeks I've been busy and slipping behind on what I need to done on the ranch.

The shrouded front sight did not appear until 1956 along with the ramped sight base. The book "The 336" by Doug Murry, doesn't detail how your sight was mounted but from the picture, it appears that it was a dovetail cut in the barrel aft of the forward barrel band. The price of the 1950 rifle was $62.20, that's $629 in today's dollars.
Michael
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Thanks. Yes, dovetailed. So I got a good deal since I paid less than $629 LOL....
__________________________________________________________________________________________
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I did not have fun shooting this thing.

I should have shot paper rested to start but I didn't realize it was going to be that difficult to hit a 6" flipper from 75 yds. I don't like the tiny brass bead front sight.

I also had the misconception these things (its way heavier and bulkier than my .357 SRC) were light hitters. Nope, I'm still feeling the effects from Sunday. My STEEL butt SRC does hurt me after several GCd 187s with a case of H110 but gee whiz!

It also got SUPER hot running both Federal 170s and Winchester 150s. The sight got blurry from the heat wave mirage.

I'll have to get used to the weird lever detent that must be squeezed to release the hammer. Loading is a little finicky.

I like the weight and the fat forend. I like the balance. The trigger is OK. I like that it fed the same with both flavors and fed well whether full or only three loaded. Ejection is simple and smooth, so is chambering. I wouldn't call it nearly as effortless as my Rossi but I spent a few hours working on the .357 to slick it. The Marlin just got a new firing pin, clean, and lube. I didn't polish anything and I didn't take the action apart......just pulled the lever and bolt. Also verified the hammer spring strut was on the "light" notch.

Looks like I finally acquired a gun that will require me to load for it. I've so far been lucky to have good shooters that got better with hand loads. I guess that's not a bad thing.
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

May want to pick up one of those slip on recoil pads, or a padded leather butt cuff with cartridge loops.
92 has a slicker action, no doubt about it.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

No leather! :)

Might just grow a pair. Haha.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

The day I bought mine I ran a box of Federal blue box 150s through it and didn't notice a lot of recoil, but then again a couple days before I was load testing with the 45 Colt and 357 92s so that might of had something to do with it. I was inside at 25 yards and found the loads zippy and pretty accurate, elbow rested on the bench.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I shot 20 of those. Have not shot anything in months prior.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Welcome to the .30-30 club.
They do tend to kick a mite more than the pistol carbines. (One of the reasons I tend to chuckle at the folks who complain about the .357s, .45 Colts and .44 Mags recoiling around here.)
They aren't bad if you snuggle up to them and you aren't trying for rapid fire though. You do become accustomed to them as well with repeated use. Most recently I found my lightweight Remington 700 in 270 Winchester to be a bit of a kicker with repeated firing. My CZ-550 in .30-06 and my Savage 243 Winchester shot on the same day were pussycats by comparison.

The barrel will heat up a mite as you've found especially with repeated firing. This tends to be true of most 'high powered' rifles as there's typically a lot of friction involved in pushing a copper coated slug down the barrel at 2400 to 3000 FPS and a lot of energy liberated from 30 to 60 grains of powder. The barrels for .30-30 don't tend to be overly thick either.

Reloading heavy loads will use up the brass faster. Like many earlier cartridges .30-30 brass tends to be a bit on the thin side and the cartridge is tapered. The taper makes feeding extraction and ejection pretty sure. I personally full length resize both because I've got multiple .30-30 guns and because they don't have the positive camming action of most bolt guns.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Per my WTB ad I plan on installing a vintage (steel) Lyman 66LA rear sight. I am researching front sight options and would like a post style that fits the dovetail (3/8"?). I am very comfortable with the military A2 style on AR-pattern rifles and although a .30-30 isn't as flat as a 5.56X45mm, I can almost easily ring an 8" gong from 190 yards with a front post and rear aperture.

Y'all think something like this CLICK HERE would work?

Thanks +guns

EDIT**** Oooooo looks like Skinner makes what I want....affordable too.