Winchester Canadian Centennial 30-30

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
3Horse

Winchester Canadian Centennial 30-30

Post by 3Horse »

Folks,
I've been looking at a couple Winchester Canadian Centennials in 30-30 caliber with 26" (?) octagonal barrels.
They have had light use and one appears to be in excellent shape. I always thought commemorative models were for looking at and not shooting. But I'm a shooter rather than collector. What are your opinions on these rifles? Being they were made in 1967 I believe, and don't have the pre-'64 quality, are they good for all around use like I use a rifle?
My wife took over the Rossi/Puma 92 in 45LC and told me to go get my own rifle. So i am. +guns
Coop 45

Re: Winchester Canadian Centennial 30-30

Post by Coop 45 »

I had a 30-30 Klondike commemorative. With light loads shot great. Fast loads and it started to string vertically. I'm sure if I spent a bit more time on it I would have fixed this. Overall it was a shooter, No dust collectors in my safe. Unfortunately it was sold off to fund other projects. If it's at a price you can be happy with, and your not concerned about a few scratches stuffing up resale values, then go for it.
"Shoot straight you bastards, don't make a mess of it" Captain Harry "Breaker" Morant, last words to his firing squad.
92 45 Colt 20" stainless
3Horse

Post by 3Horse »

Thanks Coop 45. Was yours the long barrel or carbine?
I don't have any dust collectors either. All my guns show some handling. Used, but abused.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Most of those Winchester "collector" rifle were made by the truck if not freight car load and hence don't have a lot of collector value.

If it suits you get it and shoot it and enjoy.

I know what I'd probably do with it but that's just me. I'm thinking rebore and chamber for 38-55, but you need to be a reloader as the ammo is hard to find OTC.

Make smoke
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

What Ohio3Wheels said regarding Winchester collectors. They aren't worth less than a regular version but they aren't typically high dollar guns either.
Get it shoot it and enjoy it.
I'd put a good coat or three of car wax on it to keep the finish as long as possible though and renew as needed. The one thing Winchester 94s are semi famous for is picking up finger prints.
3Horse

Post by 3Horse »

I was outbid on Gunbroker....on two guns. Interesting how bidders come out of nowhere in the last 30-60 minutes of the auction. Wellll, I may be back looking at Rossi's.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I've seen a lot of numbnuts go wild in the last seconds of bidding on auction sites both firearms and ebay.
A lot of folks even use automated bidding sites to try and snipe the last few seconds.

Some auctions use a last minute extension to draws the auction out to prevent someone from loosing a bid due to a time out. Not 100% how I feel about that. Best Bet I've found is bid your max and don't sweat it if it gets out bid if you really want it. If you are just bidding to see if you can get it on the cheap then bid cheap and let it go when somebody wants it more. Never ever get caught up in a bidding war. Know your max acceptable and stop there.
3Horse

Post by 3Horse »

Thanks Archer. I've noticed some auctions that went way over the value of the guns. Then there's the shipping & transfer fees which adds another $50-$75+
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Yep, Auction fever is what every seller is hoping for and every buyer is looking for a lack of interest and no reserve.

If you look you'll even see the same seller sometimes with a buy it now price for the same product they have going at auction and the auction may be bid above the buy it now price. One of my buds got his wife a collector's doll she wanted at a lower buy it now price from the same vendor who was auctioning off another that was identical and the bids were above the buy it now price.

I learned at age 4 or 5 to always count additional charges like tax (and much later shipping) when I was at the five and dime and my 15 cent spending allowance wouldn't buy the 15 cent balsa wood glider because I had to pay a cent sales tax. I'm amazed at kids today who can't figure change from either side of the cash register with the register doing the math.
3Horse

Post by 3Horse »

Got this post in the right place now....
I purchased a Winchester Canadian yesterday. There's a warm story about the rifle's history and how I came to acquire it. It was used and lovingly cared by the previous owner who purchased it in 1970.
I'll share the story sometime.
Photo.docx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.