Waiting on my new Henry!

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Waiting on my new Henry!

Post by Steelbanger »

Hello RD,

Nevermind, I just started it with a small contribution.

I'm waiting for a rifle to show up at my dealers, a Henry 24" octagon 22 WMR. My dealer has been looking all over but can't find one for me. Yesterday I wrote the president of Henry a brief email telling him of my plight and today he responds, telling me that he is now involved in getting the rifle to me. Hooray!

This will be my first Henry and I bought it for shooting the Pistol Cartridge Cowboy Silhouette game. I normally use either a 357 mag or the great 44 mag but am trying to stay away from any recoil generated by these, not to mention the 38-55. So, my plan is to shoot the 22 mag this summer, saving my eyes from anything that would harm my cataract surgery eyes from any type of damage. I saw my Ophthalmologist on Friday and my operations begin in March, the second eye will be taken care of about a month after the first eye operation. The left eye has several abnormalities so she's going to get that one out of the way first.
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Waiting on my new Henry!

Post by Ranch Dog »

There is no doubt that I've been impressed by what I've seen reported on behalf of the Henry owners. If I was just starting into leverguns, Henry is where my money would be spent. There is no doubt they pay attention to their products and customers.

I will include you in my prayers so that your eyes have you back on the big guns!
Michael
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I love my Henry .22 S/L/LR so much I've been considering one in .22 WMR but given I've got a 9422M it's a little hard for me to justify although the shop has gotten a couple of their Pump .22 WMRs in I lean toward the octagonal like my other one.

I've yet to see a Henry come through the shop that didn't look good.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Henry
Some years ago I was doing the Cowboy shooting routine. Wanted to get a lever action that would cycle 44 Russian. Henry was the only firm to respond. President Imperato himself sent word they were willing to find out but where could they find 44 Russian ammo. I suggested Navy Arms. One week later Mr Anthony Imperato responds he personally pulled a rifle from shipping and ran 100 rounds of 44 Russian through it firing all on a target at 25 yards with no issues.
That is why I am a Henry owner.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

If Henry would go the loading gate route with their centerfire guns I'd be all over them. I may eventually pick up some of their guns that aren't rimfires but...

Messing around with a 20" magazine spring tube as a separate piece of the gun that isn't integrated is a hundred and fifty year step backwards to a design that was obsolete after less than a decade or so.
The 1866 Winchester was a vast improvement over the 1860 Henry.

While you can make the argument that the Mauser bolt action made all levers obsolete they've been in continuous production in one form or another from Winchester and Marlin using feeding setups that can be charged from the back half of the gun.

I already own a Browning BLR in .308 which kind of negates the most useful of the Lone Ranger series and the price point so far is pretty similar.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Steelbanger wrote:Hello RD,

Nevermind, I just started it with a small contribution.

I'm waiting for a rifle to show up at my dealers, a Henry 24" octagon 22 WMR. My dealer has been looking all over but can't find one for me. Yesterday I wrote the president of Henry a brief email telling him of my plight and today he responds, telling me that he is now involved in getting the rifle to me. Hooray!

This will be my first Henry and I bought it for shooting the Pistol Cartridge Cowboy Silhouette game. I normally use either a 357 mag or the great 44 mag but am trying to stay away from any recoil generated by these, not to mention the 38-55. So, my plan is to shoot the 22 mag this summer, saving my eyes from anything that would harm my cataract surgery eyes from any type of damage. I saw my Ophthalmologist on Friday and my operations begin in March, the second eye will be taken care of about a month after the first eye operation. The left eye has several abnormalities so she's going to get that one out of the way first.
When I had my first implant done in 2010 I asked my ophthalmologist about recoil. His reply was wait a week for the post op check and he'd let me know. A week later I was able to go out with the 12 gauge and hunt. This was the eye that was severely damaged by glaucoma and now has a shunt installed. I had to wait 2 weeks on that one. The left eye was a little different as he did a shunt at the same time to get ahead of the game and there were 2 additional checks before he cleared my to play. i had some problems with scar tissue forming on the new lenses but both times that was easily fixed and the overall improvement in general vision and the sight pictures has made it all worth while. Best of luck with yours.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
9x80Drilling

Post by 9x80Drilling »

Ours eyes can at times heal up so fast.

In 2003 I had retinal tears that required laser fixes in both eyes, and knife work in my dominant eye. My doc would not clear me to go back to work for 7 weeks ( was I ever thrilled with that!!!!!) and, better yet, sent me out hunting 1 week after the surgeries.

I had to shoot off my left shoulder that fall, but that didn't stop me!
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
What a kind and understanding eye doctor ! Of course being out in the fresh air and not constantly focusing at one object or distance is good for the eyes.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

Archer wrote:If Henry would go the loading gate route with their centerfire guns I'd be all over them. I may eventually pick up some of their guns that aren't rimfires but...

Messing around with a 20" magazine spring tube as a separate piece of the gun that isn't integrated is a hundred and fifty year step backwards to a design that was obsolete after less than a decade or so.
The 1866 Winchester was a vast improvement over the 1860 Henry.

While you can make the argument that the Mauser bolt action made all levers obsolete they've been in continuous production in one form or another from Winchester and Marlin using feeding setups that can be charged from the back half of the gun.

I already own a Browning BLR in .308 which kind of negates the most useful of the Lone Ranger series and the price point so far is pretty similar.

I would speculate that Henry's marketing scheme is based upon the original Henry having to be loaded via the end of tube, like a .22 rifle, so if they added the side loading gate, well, then it would make it the Winchester model that succeeded the original Henry. Don't see them doing this, in spite of it being an improvement.

What I find to be a hoot is that their .45-70 model is not based upon the Winchester 1886 action, but rather that marlin 336 action just like the Rossi Rio Grande. I would have one if they had followed the Winchester controlled round feed design of the 1886.

I personally think that for hunting, the lever action is almost always faster than a bolt action rifle, and you don't have to move your hand from grip to bolt and back. I recall reading somewhere that one reason lever's didn't make it in the military armament while the bolt action did was due to difficulty cycling the lever while shooting prone.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I love my 1886 even if it was made in Japan.