Rossi is going to lose out

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
rhill

Rossi is going to lose out

Post by rhill »

I wanted a 92 .357, but all the dealers I use tell me their distributer say "out of stock". So what am I to do? Get a Henry steel Big Boy, of course! Not sure if I want the big loop carbine or the 20". Can get either, and I like both. :?
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Rossi is going to lose out

Post by akuser47 »

Order one online if they pop up if you put up notices on gunbroker n gunsamerica.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Rossi stock levels across the country seem to drop every year at this time. It seems to me that a huge shove of rifles and what they have decided will be offered in spare parts come into this country over a short span of time. Right now there are six 357 Mag 92s on Gunbroker and all are overpriced because their are so few. When the inventory arrives, prices drop considerably.

There isn't a case to be made for not buying the Henry. Right now on GunBroker, I use that source for comparison as it is what anyone can look at and buy from versus a local shop, the Big Boy Steel rifles and carbines are at the same prices if not less than the Rossi 92 357 Mag. With the Henry you get a Walnut stock, customer service, and parts. You just can't argue that. If Henry were to introduce a 92, Rossi imports into this country would be in serious trouble especially if they offered the rifle in the traditional cartridges.
Michael
rhill

Post by rhill »

I agree with that, Ranch Dog! I think it would be a smart move on Henry's part to do a 92 clone. I have no doubt they would be very nice. My favorite shop has a big loop 16.5" carbine with nice wood that may be mine on Tuesday if it is still there after I am off work. Cannot beat the fit and finish on this rifle.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I agree with everything RD said except for the traditional cartridges part.

My personal preference is for the .44 Mag and .357 Mag since I already own those guns and have that ammo.

I know there are traditionalist out there that have an affinity for the rounds John Moses Browning designed the guns for and I know there are some feeding / mechanical advantages to the slight taper of the rounds (and possibly larger rims when compared to .45 Colt) BUT I can get .44 Mag and .357 Mag off the shelf most of the time. The traditional Winchester pistol length cartridges are a special order OR reloading proposition with the components potentially special order. .45 Colt isn't a traditional chambering in these guns although it is a period chambering and it isn't common on the shelves around here.

I'd venture that the average buyer of these guns is NOT a reloader and probably doesn't even consider the possibility of ordering up his own ammo. (And in CA and two or three other communist states may soon not be able to do so.)

I'm not certain if the .357s aren't getting imported in as high numbers as the .44 Mags? I'm not certain if the demand for .44s is higher or lower than the .357s. I think the .357s are perhaps more fun to shoot and the cartridges are a lot cheaper especially if you are running .38 SP through it and may be preferred for the cowboy action types. I think the .44 (or heavy loaded .45) is a better hunter but I'm not sure how these guns are getting picked up for hunting. A couple decades ago back east when I was in college Winchester 94s in .44 Mag were snapped up quick for deer season and MIGHT be seen on the rack used after the season was over.

I know it is blasphemy to suggest that Rossi may know what they are doing in any way BUT I can't help but think that if their 92 was selling like hotcakes in .44-40 (or .38-40) that they'd be importing those instead of the .44s and .357s.

IF Henry made the 92s or even if Winchester were importing them (or better yet producing them domestically again) at something less than collector prices I'd be all over it.
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

Henry making 92's? Oh jeeze, I'd better start saving now.....
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Honestly i think this, how many distributes get stuck with unsellable stock if they have say 10000 rifles no longer legal. I suspect many wait to see what potus or laws may hit b4 they order. Just thinking I don't know I doubt lever guns will ever get banned, but who knows.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

akuser47 wrote:Honestly i think this, how many distributes get stuck with unsellable stock if they have say 10000 rifles no longer legal. I suspect many wait to see what potus or laws may hit b4 they order. Just thinking I don't know I doubt lever guns will ever get banned, but who knows.
Buddy of mine bought a Marlin 336 as one of his first rifles and got a lot of flak from some of the MSR crowd as to why he'd want such a thing. His response was 'When they come to take your black rifle they'll probably leave my cowboy gun alone for at least a while.' I maintain the lever action, especially in handgun calibers including .44 Mag, IS a 'cowboy assault weapon'.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I went to a rifle self defense course, the first rifle that was held up was a leveraction 30-30 Win. Career soldier/LEO who was teaching said if you didn't own one, it was a mistake. Went on to speak of just what Archer has hit upon.
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Can not disagree but one nit to pick if you all will indulge me. When we call our rifles "assault" rifles we allow ourselves to fall into the left's trap. Assault is either a verb or a noun it should never be an adjective in our vocabularies. (Off soap box)

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image