Henry question

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
Warhawk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Henry question

Post by Warhawk »

... About stock geometry.

I have an old Iver Johnson (Erma) 22 levergun. The base model Henry 22 is an exact copy, down to parts interchanging. I also have a youth model Henry I bought for my grandson.

A few years back I picked up a Golden Boy 22. Beautiful rifle, but the stock has so much drop that I couldn't get used to it. Anyone who has both or has handled both back to back knows what I'm talking about.

I'm wondering if the Henry center fires are made the same way? If the big boy series have the same extreme drop as the golden boy, I can stop looking at them now.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Henry question

Post by Archer »

Let us know what you find out.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
This past summer a Henry Steel 41 mag ended up in our rack. The Drop did not seem excessive to me at all. I put a receiver sight on it and it fits my little frame just fine.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I sure like the Big Boy Steel series and would like all of them but I really am at the point I have more rifles than I will ever shoot. I would also like to have the Long Ranger in 308 Win but I told myself the old way I would buy it is if I give up my Savage 10FCM, also a 308 Win. I can't do that and it is working so far.

I was interested in their proposed single shot when there wasn't much not news about it but since it has been identified as a top break, I went very cold on it. I was hoping it was a falling block like the Ruger No. 1. I've owned enough top breaks to last me a live time.
Michael
Warhawk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Warhawk »

http://publish.colorgraphicpress.com/to ... =zcopfsgdi

The Henry 2017 catalog, lots of new goodies inside, including the single shots.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

The only single shot top break that I've fount tempting and probably should have bought was an old Iver Johnson 12 with a 30" barrel in good condition.

The only reason I was tempted is my father has one with a 36" full choke barrel that was the first gun I was allowed to shoot that didn't fire BBs one at a time.

As for falling / rolling block guns I like them but I've only managed to pick up the .22 LR Winchester 1885 Miroku.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ranch Dog wrote:I would also like to have the Long Ranger in 308 Win but I told myself the old way I would buy it is if I give up my Savage 10FCM, also a 308 Win. I can't do that and it is working so far.
Well, that didn't last long and I move further yet from a Henry purchase. Ran across a Savage 11 Scout on Gunbroker that I bought for $525 with $15 for shipping and no credit card fee. My FFL charges $20 so I am in it for $560. The best price I could find in South Texas was $720.

So that means a Henry has moved off the map for me.
Michael
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

SWEET!

I'm in my 11, 111 or whatever it is in .243 Win for the one piece base, rings, scope and spare mag
All in all I think I'm at less than $340-350.

$560 before you start in on optics ain't bad.
Especially with a scout base, iron sights, muzzle device and cheek riser.