An idea I probably cant afford but...

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

An idea I probably cant afford but...

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I've been looking at the Mossberg 464 lever gun (decidedly weird with the tactical stock),but it's only available in 30/30 which does me no good here in straight wall Ohio, however as recall the 30/30, 38-55 and 375 Win all share the same case head and pretty much the same OAL. Any of you who may be smiths or anyone else have a notion of the practicality of re barreling one of these to either 38-55 or 375 Win?

Might be better off to just save and get one of the 94 AEs off the assort internet sites.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: An idea I probably cant afford but...

Post by Ranch Dog »

You would not need to get it rebarreled. Send it the [url=http://www.35caliber.com/2.html]JES to have it rebored/rechambered. I sent him a NIB Rossi Rio Grande and being familiar with both cartridges, the 375 & 38-55 Win had him chamber it for the 38-55 with the 375 Win's bore (.366") and groove (.376"). Best of both worlds. It has become one of my favorite rifles.

He doesn't mention the Mossberg but it would be worth asking about if that is what you want. I hemmed and hawed about buying one of KY Gun Company's RG blems for $250 for another but when I decided to do it the rifles were gone.
Michael
Hombre

Post by Hombre »

JES reboring/rechambering is quite well known, and liked, on another site I'm on. While I have no personal experience with him, have yet to hear a bad thing about him.

I think his work is in the $200 range for changing a .30-30 to .38-55 which is an OH acceptable cartridge for hunting. His rate also depends on how many grooves you want. I've read of him working on Marlins and Winchesters, but no idea about Mossbergs.

Good luck with it!
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
Have numerous JES Rebores in the storage box. Most are in Caliber 38 but there are a couple in caliber 41 and the biggest is a 50 Alaskan. He does good work. If you give him a call you will get his recorder but he will call you back. When he starts a barrel he keeps at it till he is done.
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Well this has given me room for plans, I got a lok at a Mossburg the other day at Gander Mtn,My initial reaction was you can tell it's swell. it's Matell :) . I had it side by side with a 336 and while the price difference was only about $15 it fwlt like it should have been about $100, So if I move forward it will be a 336.

Merry Christmas

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

If you are thinking about a rebore to 38-55 or other you might call JES and ask if he has any for sale. He use to run all kinds of rifles through GunBroker but I haven't seen any as of late but haven't spent much time there either.

I've even seen some Savage 170s and 340s that he rebored/chambered from 30-30 Win to 38-55 Win. Had a hard time passing on those.
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Still working on getting this into the budget. Question 3, 4 or 5 grooves? And in the 38-55 which would serve best considering mostly cast bullets?

Make smoke,
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
Have JES rebores in caliber 38 with 3 and 4 grooves and all shoot the same... very well. Maybe if I had a bench rest rifle to compare the two then a determination could be advanced.
The last three rifles we sent in had 3 groove cuts and no regrets.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.