70s era Marlins

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

70s era Marlins

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I have a 75 vintage 336 in 35 Remington. Here in Ohio it's usable on varmints, but not game. I guess you could use it on squirrel as long as you're good enough for head shots only, I'm not. Anyway to the point, are these typically know to have kind of short throats?

My reason for asking is years back I used it to shoot some informal cowboy silhouette using a 180 grain RNFP from a now long gone local caster. I could seat these to crimp in the crimping groove and they cycle fine and do a good job on all four critters (full size IHMSA animals) . Problem is I'm running out, but I have most of a box of 500 Penn 180 grn conical flat nose. Seated to the crimp groove they wont chamber and show a ring around the conical section about half way down. If I seat them most of the way up the front driving band they cycle fine, but they look really odd and I suspect sooner or later they are going to cause feeding troubles if they should get a wee bit shorter.

Both these bullets are sized 358 by the way and I believe it's the fairly long 358 driving band that may be the source of the problem. I'm out right now and will try to post pictures later. I'd like to find a mold I can afford that would cast a close match to the one from the caster that's gone. Guess I'll go wander around NOE's site.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 70s era Marlins

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeah, the 35 Rem in any flavor has a short throat. The throat by spec is .10". Ogive must be making a pretty good curve to the .349" bore real quick.
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: 70s era Marlins

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Thanks, Michael, that's was my suspicion after looking at the SAAMI reamer drawing.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image